• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safe to say Hero=Failure

>>>If HTC just named all their phones some variety of Hero, as Apple does with the iPhone, would you consider it a success? What if the Nexus One was called the Hero 3Gs?<<<

Not the same form factor, and from the news reports, no, I would not consider it successful. Perhaps the Nexus one is a product line that will evolve, rather than being replaced by a completely different product line. If it is worth that, it will be a success for Google, not HTC. After all, it's Google branded, not HTC.

>>>I think the only brand name they're trying to establish is HTC, and if you look where that company was a year ago in America I would say they have been quite successful.<<<

That's where the nexus one argument doesn't work, since it is primarily brought to market by Google, not HTC. Regardless, the quality of poop being flung at the walls is indeed continuously improving. But there is no product differentiation that would make any one product a "successful" one from a market perspective. Only having Google as a driving marketing force behind the nexus one has provided any differentiation.

But yes, I agree, the products are evolving at a remarkable rate and they will eventually have a standout winner amongst their product line.

Those tweets do look like we might get that 2.1 update, which I will assume will have to go via USB. I get the feeling there will be some hangups on processing power... which leads to...

Maybe the HTC Bravo will become the flagship... It seems to me there is some combination of interface, form factor, and relative processing power that will become a definitive market leader for htc... I just don't think the hero is it.

Upvote 0
Exactly. There won't be a Hero II. It's not a flagship phone worth updating. In 3-6 months you'll understand

Yup. Probably right there. True of all toys one buys though. When their releases are announced by the manufacturers they're already obsolete. Yesterday's engineering feats and they're already on ventilators. :( However, these forums are what breathes some life to the devices that are replacing aging desktop and laptop computers. We're doing more with them than they were intended to do because of the forums, developers and user contributions. None of which would live without the others. :D

Upvote 0
The Hero is a flop folks.

Think of it this way: The iPhone evolved into the iPhone 3Gs and will continue to evolve. Meanwhile, the HTC Hero is already dead. It will evolve into nothing because it was just a stopgap product as HTC tries to come up with a product that can compete with the iPhone.

1. Hero development is over
2. The Hero was not a stand-out in sales
3. The Hero won't receive any real updates because it is a 1st generation Android phone that cannot hack android 2.1 according to HTCSource: "Due to 3D issues it sounds like 1st gen android phones will not get android 2.1"
4. While sense may evolve to get rid of its ergonomic failures, we will never see it on the Hero

All HTC is doing is throwing poop at a wall to see what sticks. They are just building "novelties" as they search aimlessly (they are throwing poop at the wall with a blindfold) for a successful competitor for the iphone. When some HTC phone becomes successful SALES standout they will take that phone and re-refine it as a flagship phone.

This article was a great read at breakfast yesterday morning on my hero, which I actually like (I came from a 3 year old Samsung A707

Good grief, some of you are ridiculous. The iPhone evolved into the iPhone 3Gs? You mean if I owned an original iPhone it gradually turned into an iPhone 3Gs? I think not. The 3Gs was a different device, and guess what? If you wanted that device you had to pay for it again. Just like I will have to pay for a different device whenever I decide to move on from my current Hero. Whether that device is called the Hero 2 or the Superstar 1 really doesn't matter.

Now regarding your other points.

1) Since to my knowledge you do not work for HTC (nor have any insights into the company), pardon me if I choose not to put any stock in your assessment that Hero development is over. But by the off chance you happen to be right, so what? I am happy with the hardware for now, and software wise I'm quite sure Android is still under development.
2) They sold one to me, so really that is the only stand out sale I care about.
3) HTC (and Sprint I believe) has stated the Hero will be getting Android 2.1. Until they prove otherwise, I'll take their word over yours.
4) Your 4th point doesn't even make sense (no pun intended). We will never see WHAT on the Hero? SenseUI? Call me stupid, but seems Sense is already on the Hero.

Finally, if you feel HTC is throwing poop on a wall, don't use their products. Use what you like and be happy about it. It won't bother me in the least. For me, the Hero is a great phone and does what I need and more. No amount of bellyaching by others will make me feel any different. But hey, if you feel you need to rain down Hero negativity, go right ahead.

Upvote 0
This thread is for discussion. Name calling and pointless additions to thread will not be tolereated. If you ahve somethign constructive to say, feel free. If not, please move on to another thread.

What's the definition of a technology flop? I would assume respected gadget websites and magazines saying it is right? Cast your eye over the list of awards the Hero won last year:

• Gadget of the Year – Stuff Awards
  • Phone of the Year – Mobile Choice Consumer Awards
  • Gadget of the Year – T3 Awards
  • Phone of the Year – T3 Awards
  • Best Smartphone – What Mobile Awards
  • Best Mobile - Pocket Lint Awards

I rest my case.

Upvote 0
Haha, I've been back and forth with numus on that one over in the Moment forum. Don't get me wrong...the Moment is a good phone. But in my experience, the Hero operates so much better...especially with Fresh running on it.

LOL one thing I do not miss about the Moment forum.

Random poster - "I don't like how the Moment doesn't have an LED to notify me of a text message"

numus - "You don't know sh!t about sh!t! I am a programmer and a top notch developer and a nuclear engineer!! I work for the GOVERNMENT!!!! GET OUT OF MY FORUM YOU LOWLY END-USER PEON!"

Upvote 0
Exactly. There won't be a Hero II. It's not a flagship phone worth updating. In 3-6 months you'll understand
The idea that the Hero owners who participate in this and other tech forums are representative of hero owners in general is ludicrous. I'm aware of at least 20 friends, co-workers, and business contacts who own either the Hero or Eris and I'm the only one of 'em who participates in them. The others are blissfully uninformed and quite happy with their phones.

I'm happy with mine too, and perhaps that's because I can appreciate good enough. I haven't fallen into that bottomless abyss where I can't be satisfied with my gadgets unless they're the latest, greatest, fastest, most gee-whizzy things on the market and I find it laughable that those of you who are in that free fall think your opinions really matter. As far as I'm concerned, you guys have doomed yourselves to a perpetual state of dissatisfaction and that's not a place I care to be.

Pete

Upvote 0
LOL one thing I do not miss about the Moment forum.

Random poster - "I don't like how the Moment doesn't have an LED to notify me of a text message"

numus - "You don't know sh!t about sh!t! I am a programmer and a top notch developer and a nuclear engineer!! I work for the GOVERNMENT!!!! GET OUT OF MY FORUM YOU LOWLY END-USER PEON!"
Fact is you don't know Sh!t cvam...
Hero != Failure...
but Hero = Old Qualcomm MSM 7200A chip that no one is using anymore because it is outdated by the cortex line, samsung s3c64** line and qualcomm scorpion (snapdragon) line...

Upvote 0
Just because the processor isn't the latest and greatest doesn't mean the device is a flop or failure. My home PC is 2 years old...but it can still run anything I throw at it quite adequately. That said, I don't think the Hero is going to have a problem running 2.1 with or without Sense UI but I suppose we won't know until the update is released.

Upvote 0
Look at all the negative feedback on this phone. Before AND after the supposed &quot;fix it&quot; update. Just seems like the negs outweigh the positives for this phone. Don't get me wrong i like what the potential is, but until this phone is free of Lag, bugs, video (youtube) problems and flash disappointments it simply fails to deliver what it claims to have. I will call it a lifesaver at work b/c I can listen to ESPN radio w/ the ESPN radio android app. So I refuse to return it.

I'm with you assdude~! I thought this phone could play Blu-Ray movies! That was the only reason I bought it! Man, imagine my disappointment!

Upvote 0
Look at all the negative feedback on this phone. Before AND after the supposed "fix it" update. Just seems like the negs outweigh the positives for this phone. Don't get me wrong i like what the potential is, but until this phone is free of Lag, bugs, video (youtube) problems and flash disappointments it simply fails to deliver what it claims to have. I will call it a lifesaver at work b/c I can listen to ESPN radio w/ the ESPN radio android app. So I refuse to return it.

Tell ya what.

Design THE phone. I mean THE phone. The one phone that does it all.

Then build it. Test it. Get all the quirks out so there are absolute ZERO glitches.

Then let me know and I will buy it from ya.

Until then....

Upvote 0
Look at all the negative feedback on this phone. Before AND after the supposed "fix it" update. Just seems like the negs outweigh the positives for this phone. Don't get me wrong i like what the potential is, but until this phone is free of Lag, bugs, video (youtube) problems and flash disappointments it simply fails to deliver what it claims to have. I will call it a lifesaver at work b/c I can listen to ESPN radio w/ the ESPN radio android app. So I refuse to return it.
I think your being a little bit to hard on the phone. Im running stock ROM and Im still impressed with the Hero. Yes there are problems, but from joining this forum we get a chance to talk about the problems with the phone so we can get them resolved. I have fixed issues on the phone from just reading threads on this forum. Coming from WMO. I cant complain. Maybe you should go to AT&T and get a Iphone. Maybe drop some calls and do things one at a time. Maybe get your notifications late. Im sure you would like that.

Upvote 0
I find this thread funny...lol

I cam from a palm 755p. I have a bb curve for work... blew the palm away. I just rooted my hero last night. I am amazed at this phone. It can do sooooooo much.

I'm not a person that buys a phone every couple months, that's a waste of money. I have read lots of things about the processor that they use and how it IS older and slower. However I think this phone is hands down on of the better phones I've ever played with and used. It's very natural to use and the amount of support and apps are still mind boggling to me!

Even IF HTC said F it and stop supporting this phone with any updates we have so many ROMS that people will continue to do things with it.

I love this phone!

-Nigel

Upvote 0
For all those complaining (trolling) about how bad their hero is, why dont you just sell it/break it/do whatever and go buy yourself a nexus one or something. Im sure they could use it after the news they got.

Nexus One Slows And Woes | Android Phone Fans

Do yourself and us a favor and go to the N1 board and troll about how much you love/hate it. But stop crying about it and do something.

Upvote 0
Just seems like ppl are heated and disappointed w/ what the Hero is lacking (as of now). Which lead me to believe that this phone is/will be considered a failure in terms of the standards of what a good phone should be. I was just curious if anyone else mirrored my sentiments. If not thats coo

It seems like that because this is a forum, and all forums are filled with whinning.

Upvote 0

I too am in total disagreement with this statement.

If you evaluate the true pros v cons the pros list (from a mobile phone standpoint) blow the cons away.

Lag? My Laptop, manufactured in 2009 (20+ years after the first consumer pc) still LAGS. This is a part of life, to have processes, beauty, power, memory, there will always be some measurable amount of RESPONSE TIME for the processing unit, ALWAYS.

Bugs have been fixed nearly entirely. Flash, Blah. No problems here with Youtube either.

Oh but...
fully customizable
app market
touchscreen
pinch/zoom
custom ringers (8 years ago who'd a thunk...)
internet
radio
personal music
FILES
MOBILE OFFICE
open platform
voice messaging
GPS NAVIGATION

OMG!! this is only the tip of the iceberg, I remember the days of printing page after page of GoogleMaps directions. Did you ever have a BAG PHONE!? Or how about an antenna on your car? Or what about a phone so big it couldn't fit in a portfolio much less your pocket.

If you can't stand these issues then stop whining and go buy a PHONE from a mobile carrier. Leave the SMART PHONES alone b/c honestly, the gains far outweigh the drawbacks and if you can't clearly see this you sir deserve not the right to enjoy the power, freedom and customization that is a smart phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones