• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Safe to use different charger

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
My friend's LG X Charge has eaten another cord. Instead of going to the phone store for an expensive new one, he bought a cheap regular Android type from the supermarket. Aside from being slower, it seems ok. Is it? Should he spend the extra money for the "right" one?

That phone has a huge (4500mah) battery. With a standard/generic charger it will probably take quite a while to charge fully.
It supports some type of fast charging but only with the correct charger such as the one it was originally supplied with. It's possible there are aftermarket chargers that also can fast-charge it but this will be hit-or-miss and the el-cheapo from the corner store definitely won't. It isn't going to damage the phone but in the long run he'd be better off with the right one.

Upvote 0
Yea I think so, because of my Samsung Tablet I got with my tablet, but it gets super hot within five minutes of charging it, so I know its the tiny outlet plug, I charge my cell and tablet, with my usb cord bought from the grocery store. Because of switching phones, and ontop of how frail both of my USB cords, are throughout swamping into my cell connected for files et all. It is safe to say yeah you can charge your cell throughout different wires of USB cords.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones