• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Same as Sprint, but MUCH cheaper?

How you use the Intercept makes a huge, huge difference. I had no issues with it when I used it.. very light texting, light browsing, light voice calls, and perhaps 4 or 5 downloaded apps. I had no issues with the phone whatsoever. When I gave it to my daughter (she's a teen, need I say more?).. she's had all kinds of issues with it. :(

After having 3 different phones through Virgin Mobile, I have to say their smartest move was the Optimus V. It's by far and hands down their best phone.

I have and use both the Intercept and the Optimus V.

The Optimus works better consistently.
The Intercept us much less consistent in terms of DATA use.

Upvote 0
For gogreen and others trying to decide btwn boost, virgin mobile, and straight talk: I've had the rumor touch on sprint, the optimus v on virgin, and I currently have the motorola triumph (mt) on virgin mobile (vm) plus the optimus (called vortex) on verizon as a work phone. I just recently set up some nieces and nephews on prepaid who wanted to save money and didn't know they could plus get better phones (they were all on tmobile feature phones without a data plan). A good choice also depends on what you want in a phone. Niece #1 doesn't like change and is not high tech. She also needed unlimited call minutes. I set her up on a nokia e71 on straight talk for $45/ month (she was paying $65 on tmobile) and she is happy. The nokia doesn't have a lot of apps but is similar to her old phone. She won't use many apps and is thrilled that she can check email and facebook from her phone while paying less. The phone gets great reception. This is because: 1) it runs on atnt 3g network which works where she lives and 2) the radio signal and antenna on the nokia e71 are known to be particularly good. I was hesitant only because straight talk customer service has a horrible reputation. We got around that by not having to deal with them at all. We ordered the phone online and activated it ourselves after buying the $45 straight talk card at walmart. We did NOT try to port her old number (nightmare on straight talk) and she manually entered her contacts. This its not for everybody but it was perfect for her.
Niece #2 and nephew #1 each got an optimus v on vm. Neither one needed unlimited talk so they are both on the 1200 minute plan and saving a lot of money. They are both very happy with the phone. Niece #2 had to return her first one (best buy) but second one working fine. Nephew #1 got his at radio shack (as I had mine) ...no issues. I would personally not buy any vm phones at best buy as I also noticed most of the mt's that had issues were from the early release ones at best buy. The optimus v is a good solid mid range android phone.
When buying a prepaid phone make sure you get a 3g phone. Many reception problems are from ppl with cheaper phones running on the much inferior 2g older network.
I am happy with my motorola triumph..and also lucky I got one of the better ones. I got it a month ago at a small sprint/boost/virgin mobile store in nyc. The signal is definitely lower than the optimus v but it works in the 2 places I need it to work the most. And I am not really using it much for voice calls since I have my work phone for that. I love the big screen and the large memory for apps. I use about 30 apps on a regular basis (they say most use 10) so this is a big deal for me. The only screen problem I have is a slight flicker when I press the power button...but I really don't care. The camera is very good. The speakers are great. The gps sometimes takes a while to lock..sometimes only a few second. Texting is fine although I prefer a physical keyboard. I downloaded the swype beta from the web site.
I prefer vm over boost....although boost has better pricing for unlimited calling (esp with shrinkage). I don't need unlimited calls and so prefer the plan choices on vm. I also prefer the optimus on vm to the samsung prevail on boost. But the two phones are very similar.
I hope this helps!!

Reactions: micahdiablo
Upvote 0
For gogreen and others trying to decide btwn boost, virgin mobile, and straight talk: I've had the rumor touch on sprint, the optimus v on virgin, and I currently have the motorola triumph (mt) on virgin mobile (vm) plus the optimus (called vortex) on verizon as a work phone. I just recently set up some nieces and nephews on prepaid who wanted to save money and didn't know they could plus get better phones (they were all on tmobile feature phones without a data plan). A good choice also depends on what you want in a phone. Niece #1 doesn't like change and is not high tech. She also needed unlimited call minutes. I set her up on a nokia e71 on straight talk for $45/ month (she was paying $65 on tmobile) and she is happy. The nokia doesn't have a lot of apps but is similar to her old phone. She won't use many apps and is thrilled that she can check email and facebook from her phone while paying less. The phone gets great reception. This is because: 1) it runs on atnt 3g network which works where she lives and 2) the radio signal and antenna on the nokia e71 are known to be particularly good. I was hesitant only because straight talk customer service has a horrible reputation. We got around that by not having to deal with them at all. We ordered the phone online and activated it ourselves after buying the $45 straight talk card at walmart. We did NOT try to port her old number (nightmare on straight talk) and she manually entered her contacts. This its not for everybody but it was perfect for her.
Niece #2 and nephew #1 each got an optimus v on vm. Neither one needed unlimited talk so they are both on the 1200 minute plan and saving a lot of money. They are both very happy with the phone. Niece #2 had to return her first one (best buy) but second one working fine. Nephew #1 got his at radio shack (as I had mine) ...no issues. I would personally not buy any vm phones at best buy as I also noticed most of the mt's that had issues were from the early release ones at best buy. The optimus v is a good solid mid range android phone.
When buying a prepaid phone make sure you get a 3g phone. Many reception problems are from ppl with cheaper phones running on the much inferior 2g older network.
I am happy with my motorola triumph..and also lucky I got one of the better ones. I got it a month ago at a small sprint/boost/virgin mobile store in nyc. The signal is definitely lower than the optimus v but it works in the 2 places I need it to work the most. And I am not really using it much for voice calls since I have my work phone for that. I love the big screen and the large memory for apps. I use about 30 apps on a regular basis (they say most use 10) so this is a big deal for me. The only screen problem I have is a slight flicker when I press the power button...but I really don't care. The camera is very good. The speakers are great. The gps sometimes takes a while to lock..sometimes only a few second. Texting is fine although I prefer a physical keyboard. I downloaded the swype beta from the web site.
I prefer vm over boost....although boost has better pricing for unlimited calling (esp with shrinkage). I don't need unlimited calls and so prefer the plan choices on vm. I also prefer the optimus on vm to the samsung prevail on boost. But the two phones are very similar.
I hope this helps!!

Upvote 0
I am too! I have been looking into prepaid cell phone providers and am trying to get some feedback on their service/reviews from previous/current users. Boost Mobile has unlimited talk/text/web/411/IM/Email for $50/mt; Virgin Mobile has unlimited talk/text/data/messaging for $55/mt; StraightTalk (which is a branch of Tracfone) has unlimited talk/text/web/411 for $45/mt or $540/yr.

I've tried to research reviews but it seems that either I find old reviews or the same 2 websites. I would greatly appreciate ANY feedback as I am just trying to go without a contract and cut my cellphone bill literally in half.

First and Foremost, I want to advise you to stay as far away as possible from StraightTalk. Their customer service is a nightmare.Yes, I say this from experience. So can my sister. I can't get into the the list of issues because that would take too long lol Do a search for StraightTalk on facebook and you will find not one positive review about them. Now, I have been with Virgin Mobile for over a year now and I'm absolutely thrilled with them! I have tried every single phone but the Samsung Intercept. I keep going back to my Blackberry Curve. Yes, they do have android phones.. Samsung Intercept and the recently released Motorola Triumph.

Upvote 0
Sprint has great customer service, what killed us there is that we were locked up on our family plan and $158.00 a month was killing our pockets. It is unfortunate that we could not get a cheaper plan. We would've stayed with Sprint, as I like their selection of phones the best... We changed to Virgin Mobile and so far we are liking it a lot. I have a great phone now for its price and does exactly what I need it to do...
We are happy campers without a contract to abide by...

Upvote 0
Verizon and TMobile staff keep telling me that Virgin does not use the same towers that Sprint uses.

Is this true or not?

Jake

They're just trying to get you to buy their phones.

But,Virgin Mobile finds a way to get rid of your minutes for SOMETHING. And I think the only way you get to use their towers if you use their beyond talk plans which are available for the following android phones.

Motorola triumph
LG optimus V
Samsung Intercept

And The other beyond talk plans.

LG Rumor 2
Blackberry curve
Samsung restore

But beyond talk plans which most people use(ME!) used Sprint towers,a.k.a their 3G network.

Upvote 0
Someone mentioned there's no weekend or night time free minutes. I didn't have that w/t mobile as they didn't offer it on my "minutes and email/data" plan. If you are using the $55/month plan on VM, it's not even an issue. Beyond that, I wonder if the simple fact is Sprint offers more selections on their smart phones and the ability to bundle plans (family plans I guess) together. Service wise I've had no issues.

Upvote 0
Someone mentioned there's no weekend or night time free minutes. I didn't have that w/t mobile as they didn't offer it on my "minutes and email/data" plan. If you are using the $55/month plan on VM, it's not even an issue. Beyond that, I wonder if the simple fact is Sprint offers more selections on their smart phones and the ability to bundle plans (family plans I guess) together. Service wise I've had no issues.

I wish I could get good service. I hardly get 1 bar if that. It's just greyed out bars :/. Hardly can send a txt message. But I wish it was better, do you think upgrading to the actual Sprint network would be better than Virgin's?

Upvote 0
I don't know if it uses ALL the same towers that Sprint uses. Also Sprint roams on other networks. I don't know that boost and virgin are able to roam on a network that sprint is roaming on.

If it was 100% the same, why would anyone still use Sprint, except for more phone choices?

Edit - just pulled up Boost coverage map and Sprint coverage map, and just at a glance, they look identical.

That is strange that his phone would have so many dropped calls, no coverage, etc. I thought Blackberries were good phones in that regard?

Upvote 0
do you think upgrading to the actual Sprint network would be better than Virgin's?

No. Let me explain why. Both my roommates Intercept and my Intercept get the exact same connection. His with Sprint and mine with Virgin Mobile. The only time 3G goes out on my Intercept is if there is an outtage because my roommates phone loses his 3G, too. Edit: As does my OpV if 3G goes out.

The only real difference between mine and his is his phone has roaming and mine does not. If you want roaming then you may want to consider Sprint because Virgin Mobile does not offer it. :)

Upvote 0
No. Let me explain why. Both my roommates Intercept and my Intercept get the exact same connection. His with Sprint and mine with Virgin Mobile. The only time 3G goes out on my Intercept is if there is an outtage because my roommates phone loses his 3G, too. Edit: As does my OpV if 3G goes out.

The only real difference between mine and his is his phone has roaming and mine does not. If you want roaming then you may want to consider Sprint because Virgin Mobile does not offer it. :)

But doesn't the fact that Sprint CAN roam make it a more appealing thing than just standard Virgin/Sprint?

I can still be in a shoddy area but if i can roam, it will greatly improve the network with Sprint.

With Virgin, i'd just be SOL

Upvote 0
But doesn't the fact that Sprint CAN roam make it a more appealing thing than just standard Virgin/Sprint?

I can still be in a shoddy area but if i can roam, it will greatly improve the network with Sprint.

With Virgin, i'd just be SOL

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference... for me, no. I don't care about roaming. :) There's nothing so important that I have to have roaming should I not be near a Sprint tower. I simply do not depend on my cell phone that much because for me, it's a toy. A mini computer to play with, with the added benefit of texting. Now my gaming rig (what 40 something year old mom do you know builds her own gaming rig?), I can't live without that lol. ;)

Edit: Wanted to add.. nice to see your posts again. Was wondering where you went off to!

Upvote 0
So if you were broken down on the side of the road, and you could roam on Sprint, or have NOTHING with Virgin, you'd rather just sit there and hope for the best? :)

If I did leave the house, my roommate drives me. His phone has Sprint.. he can roam. If I went somewhere with my boyfriend, he has Verizon. He can roam. ;)

Upvote 0
I suppose it's a matter of personal preference... for me, no. I don't care about roaming. :) There's nothing so important that I have to have roaming should I not be near a Sprint tower. I simply do not depend on my cell phone that much because for me, it's a toy. A mini computer to play with, with the added benefit of texting. Now my gaming rig (what 40 something year old mom do you know builds her own gaming rig?), I can't live without that lol. ;)

Edit: Wanted to add.. nice to see your posts again. Was wondering where you went off to!

Yeah, I'm here still :) Just working on creating a new website of my own(never knew how hard it was)

But you are right, I guess it is personal preference so I can see where you are coming from :)

Upvote 0
I'm looking to ditch Sprint and move to Virgin.

Thinking the Optimus Slider for my spouse (he wants a keyboard) and the Wildfire for me. 300 minute plan and route through Google Voice when we are home.

After some research I found that I can purchase a pay-as-you-go phone from t-Mobile for less than $20 and keep it active for $40/year. This can cover me for the few times I drive outside Virgin's areas. Since I will save $70 each month it seems worth it. Just a solution if you if rarely leave the coverage area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones