• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung car kit

SMU

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
Hi all, Does anyone own this Samsung car dock and charger for the Sprint version Galaxy S II?

Samsung ECS-K1D9BEGSTA Sprint SPH-D710 Vehicle Mount - Car Kit

My question is "this dock has a mini usb charging port & an audio out port in the back of the unit. The audio out port works fine for listening to music or voice commands thru the car stereo speakers, but as soon as i get a phone call or make a call, the audio switches to the speakerphone or the ear piece.

I've set the dock settings audio output mode on the phone to use external speakers when docked, but still the same problem. Does anyone know of any other settings that may help?

Also, if i plug the audio cable directly into the phones head phone jack the other person can be heard through the car stereo speakers, but they cannot hear me.

Thank you.

I'll have to look for this app too.

The reason hooking the car audio directly to the phone causes the other person not to hear you, is because the car connector is a 3 contact (Tip-Ring-Shield) plug and the headphone connector on the phone is a 4 contact (Tip-Ring-Ring-Shield) receptacle. The TRS connector shorts the Mic (extra ring contact) to the shield, muting the phone. This won't damage anything, but the mic won't work. It works this way with standard (no mic) headphones as well.

Greg

Reactions: cwgraf71
Upvote 0
Had no issue with my LG but my new samsung wasn't working until I went to custom rom them lost it at the upgrade so not sure what to think of that. Will look for the app. Does anybody know of special 3.5 wire to fix this issue?

Cannot seem to get the setting Profiles app to work not sure what I am missing

Ok, found that Samsung does use the 4 ring and found a 3.5mm audio cable that has 4 ring to 3 ring with built in microphone

Upvote 0
I just received one of three cords I ordered. This one has the built in mic with a button you can use to connect and disconnect the call, it works. I have read that the 3 pin/conductor shorts out the fourth pin. So, it's a 4 pin/conductor or sometimes called a 3 ring (because it has 3 black rings) that needs to connect to the phone. I have a straight through cord without mic coming to see if the mic on the phone will work instead using the cord with mic. Here is the one I have so far and paid $3.49 for it.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The only cords I can find say they are for the Iphone or I have found one for the Nokia phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones