• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung galaxy note jelly bean official update

I agree, but you forgot big items:

1. Random freeze ups (power cycle to recover). I could not even count on the alarm clock to wake me.
2. Voice talk - well what can I say, it was a throwback to the 80's. We had to wait on ICS to be able to disable it. Under Honeycomb you just had to live with it popping up.
3. Looses marbles and will not communicate with the network unless power cycled almost daily. Tried four different carriers.
4. The stylus detects a tap 3 cm above the glass. Useless.
5. Do movies work? I have no idea? Some movies play for a few seconds, then say "cannot retrieve license", then expire in 24 hours unwatched. Others just complain "Cannot play on rooted device". Hello, my phone is NOT rooted.
6. Speaking of rooting. None of the techniques on youtube work.
7. About 1 in every 5 apps an the Android market hang.
8. I bought mine in Germany. No customer support is available out of region.
9. Cannot play music though bluetooth headset.

Most of my friends who bought the GN1 bought an iPhone. I still use mine as a reader, or for games. I picked it back up today because I noted JB was out. Did the bugs get fixed? That is what I am wondering about, and that is why I am back here.

I am not really an Apple person. I do not like the spirit of Steve Jobs controlling everything, but Steve got something right... Reliability.

I did try to like my Galaxy Note. I really did. I hated it, and so did everyone else I know who bought one.

I am convinced that you are convinced that the Note is a lost cause. I feel sorry for you. If that is what you are hoping to get from repeatedly explaining your negative point of view, then well done - you have our sympathy. Now move on and at least try to accept that many of us, me included, maybe even *most* of us, think that our Notes are truly amazing and wonderful. Maybe it will even make you feel good about us?

Ian

Upvote 0
My HK-sourced, recently-rooted international phone here in NZ started offering to update while I was travelling last week and I pushed the go button on my return on Friday. Homescreens were lost and required re-establishing, but all else pretty much in place. The UI improvements are nice and almost everything works just as it did before, or better. But the negatives I've seen are:

a) the News and Weather app I really like disappeared - I got it back via a sideload of GenieWidget.apk obtained by searching xda

b) for some reason, the /mnt/sdcard/external_sd logical path was renamed, breaking my nice MyBackupPro and SugarSync cloud backup combo -- only half back together at this stage (SugarSync's UI gets less intuitive with every new release)

c) Definitely some blank-screen and reliability issues that were not there before - usually waiting them out works, but not always. Seen with key apps like Browser, etc.

d) My worst dislike is that SMS notifications now no longer contain the text of the SMS, just unhelpful "New message" text - I have to click and go into the SMS app to know who it is from or what it was about. ICS was way better in this respect.

e) Had to uninstall the various non-useful german apps it came with, just like the update last August

e) No confidence in the S-Voice and assistant stuff -- very limited and dumb in my early tests, disabled

f) No noticeable change in battery life or memory, but I have had some apps frozen for ages and just froze some more

My note is still one of the best things of any kind that I've ever bought but is now a touch less good overall due to (c) and (d) -- hope some good updates come along to kick it back to my earlier high level of appreciation.

Upvote 0
I have the International version (N7000) and have had to deal with Gingerbread 2.3 since I bought it from Newegg. So today, I got a notice and flippantly hit OK thinking it was an app update until it took awhile and the droid showed up.. I'm not on AT&T or any other "big" company and I didn't use Kies (I don't think the N7000 is supported on Kies anyways.. It would say something like, Your device does not support initializing or something like that when I tried before) so the only way I see it came through was because its registered at the Samsung site.

If you have an N7000, then you already know how long we've been waiting for this. I opted to not use any of the hacks provided that were unofficial. Anyways.. going from 2.3 to 4.1.2 is remarkable. Now I can finally watch Time Warner Live TV on the go.

If you haven't got the update yet.. go register the device at Samsung and you should be all set.

Upvote 0
I too am still waiting on UK release :)

I wonder if anyone can explain the contents of "Live Feed of Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update availability for the Galaxy Note GT-N7000" (http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/18...-2-jelly-bean-update-for-the-galaxy-note-2/):

United Kingdom (Carphone Warehouse) - CPW Pending Pending
United Kingdom (Orange) - ORA Pending Pending
United Kingdom (Vodafone) - VOD Pending Pending
United Kingdom / Ireland - XEU Pending Pending

It details Orange, Vodafone, CPW and XEU. My N7000 is unlocked but I use a Vodafone network , so do I fall into the Vodafone category above?

Regards

Upvote 0
@alfie - The network you use is irrelevant. What matters is the CSC value (three letter code listed above) to which your phone is set.

I'm in the UK, but my phone was supplied unlocked and SIM free from Amazon.de. Thus my CSC is set to DBT (for Germany) and I already have my German JB ROM installed. FWIW I use the GiffGaff network. There is no CSC for GiffGaff and there is no need for there to be one.

It is possible to change the CSC of your phone and install any ROM you like, but you need to tread with care if you take that road. Your phone will be wiped (factory reset) and you could potentially cause yourself some grief if you don't know what you're doing. You'll also void your warranty unless you can restore the phone back to its original configuration.

HOW TO CHANGE THE CSC OF YOUR PHONE

For me in the UK there are negligible downsides to having a German phone and they are only minor one off irritants when I install a new ROM....

1. Default language is German so I need to change that during initial setup.
2. A few apps are installed which are only applicable to Germany so I choose to uninstall them.
3. There is no APN defined for GiffGaff so I use a free app to help set up my APN.

As for the "pending" status in the listing, it just means there is no news yet for those CSC codes.

Upvote 0
Well we've received it in HK. Are you Google/Android people a complete pack of sadistic arseholes or what? With much trepadation I accepted your firmware upgrade hoping that it would not be same disaster as upgrading to ICS. How stupid am I falling for your shit yet again! You arseholes must be pissing your pants with laughter.

Upvote 0
Well we've received it in HK. Are you Google/Android people a complete pack of sadistic arseholes or what? With much trepadation I accepted your firmware upgrade hoping that it would not be same disaster as upgrading to ICS. How stupid am I falling for your shit yet again! You arseholes must be pissing your pants with laughter.

I'm sorry you are frustrated with the OTA, not much we can do here.

Upvote 0

Your beef shouldn't be with google/Android. It should be with Samsung. They're the ones responsible for pushing this update to your phone.

I have a nexus 4 and 7 as well and the updates are pushed by google with no problem whatsoever.

Upvote 0
If it is by region, does anybody think you could simply try changing the DNS settings and fool their phone into upgrading?

Kinda like the Netflix work around?

I just installed the VPN1Click app to try this. It lets you choose your country and I tried it from Germany, Turkey, Italy and Hong Kong, but each time it still said "no update available". I wonder if they detect that you're on a VPN. The software was definitely working because I checked my IP each time and it was in the country I had chosen.

Upvote 0
I just installed the VPN1Click app to try this. lets you choose your country and I tried it from Germany, Turkey, Italy and Hong Kong, but each time it still said "no update available". I wonder if they detect that you're on a VPN. The software was definitely working because I checked my IP each time and it was in the country I had chosen.
Bummer, my carrier has publicized that our update is being pushed back to April.

Upvote 0
Agreed but Google are free to "champion" a brand. They helped HTC dominate the market in the beginning and then the switched their attention to Touchwiz and the Galaxy range.... The decision has helped Samsumg to the position it is in at the moment. If Google decided to partner with LG, Sony or a host of other manufacturers, Samsung would experience a drop in sales.... Serves them right..

Upvote 0
Hi, I was running ICS happily and then the upgrade to JB was downloaded and AUTOMATICALLY STARTED! I couls only choose between upgrade later (some minutes upto 3 hours) or install. After delaying several times without a possibility to cancel I hit install. Oh my god! Many apps do not work anymore. It deleted some apps, changed the menues deleted widgets I need and added some crazy features I will never use.

Is there a possibility to block all updates forever? Is there a possibility to back to the perfectly working ICS without going back to factory?

Thanks golpe

Upvote 0
It's easy to disable automatic updates. Just untick the option within settings.

If it's already downloaded the update and keeps prompting for an install then go into manage applications and wipe cache and data for the software updates apps. That will erase the downloaded update package - you won't miss it as it's over 500MB - and so long as you don't have your phone set to automatically check for updates that should be the end of it.

As for returning to stock ICS, as far as I know the only practical way is going to be to flash ICS - using PC Odin would be the easiest way - and fully wipe and factory reset the phone before flashing.

Upvote 0
I cannot believe the amount of moaning, whinging and downright ridiculous rubbish that's being posted in this thread.

If you don't want to upgrade, then don't as posted above.

If you want to upgrade and it isn't yet available in your country and you don't want to wait, then you can very easily upgrade manually via PC-Odin. A link to the instructions on how to do this are in this thread more than once.

If you have upgraded, but don't like JB, you can easily go back to ICS via PC-Odin, though I recommend you do a factory reset first before you decide to downgrade, as this can make all the difference and you may actually find that JB is quite good.

Don't complain too much that this app or other doesn't work any more, it's not Google's or Samsung's fault. The app developers need to update their apps to work with JB.
I have had no major problems since updating my Note to JB. I used PC-Odin to do it and I'm very happy with the results. Sure, there are some apps I had that no longer worked, but it's no big deal really, I just found alternative apps that do work with JB.

And to all you conspiracy theorists, wake up and smell the coffee.

The Note has had several updates already and is going to get one more to JB 4.2.2 and that will be the last update. Not bad for a phone that is two years old. I make that 4 updates in all. From Android 2.3 to 4.0.3, then 4.0.4, then 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 in the not too distant future.

Upvote 0
Agreed but Google are free to "champion" a brand. They helped HTC dominate the market in the beginning and then the switched their attention to Touchwiz and the Galaxy range.... The decision has helped Samsumg to the position it is in at the moment. If Google decided to partner with LG, Sony or a host of other manufacturers, Samsung would experience a drop in sales.... Serves them right..

When you say "champion" a brand, do you mean when google choose an OEM to manufacture a nexus device?

Thing with Samsung, they give what most Android people want, expandable storage and removable battery.

Upvote 0
It's easy to disable automatic updates. Just untick the option within settings.

If it's already downloaded the update and keeps prompting for an install then go into manage applications and wipe cache and data for the software updates apps. That will erase the downloaded update package - you won't miss it as it's over 500MB - and so long as you don't have your phone set to automatically check for updates that should be the end of it.

As for returning to stock ICS, as far as I know the only practical way is going to be to flash ICS - using PC Odin would be the easiest way - and fully wipe and factory reset the phone before flashing.
Many thanks.
It keeps displaying a software update message in the notifications. Did you mean disabling the samsung push service in the applications manager? Manage space does not alliw, uninstall updates - what will it really do? I tried to access JB docs - not available. My main concern apart stopping updates is that it killed the widgers for the stock browser and replaced the by a widget for chrome. Any way to get the stock browser widget back?

Many thanks golpe

Upvote 0
@golpe....

I don't understand what your difficulties have to do with the advice I provided. I did not mention doing anything to the push service and nothing I said would have any impact on browser apps or widgets. My post was related to ROM upgrades and nothing else.

For clarity....

To stop automatic checks for ROM updates uncheck this box....

2013-04-01%252014.27.12.png

This still allows you to check for updates manually, but it puts you in control.

To remove an update which is already downloaded, before it is installed, go to the application manager and clear cache and data for the two software update apps. To be honest I don't think you need to clear all four, but I don't remember which one was the important one. It would be the one showing storage utilisation of hundreds of MB (around 555MB for JB). I can't imagine it would do harm to clear the other things, but the important one to clear is the big one. That is the ROM update file...

2013-04-01%252014.28.30.png

2013-04-01%252014.29.04.png

I don't see how any of this would affect widgets, browsers, JB Docs (whatever that is) or "Manage Space".

Reactions: golpe
Upvote 0
I reported a couple of weeks ago on my experiences with this update from ICS to JB, here's the two most important negatives I spotted:

c) Definitely some blank-screen and reliability issues that were not there before - usually waiting them out works, but not always. Seen with key apps like Browser, etc.

d) My worst dislike is that SMS notifications now no longer contain the text of the SMS, just unhelpful "New message" text - I have to click and go into the SMS app to know who it is from or what it was about. ICS was way better in this respect.

(d) is resolved - there is a setting you can change to get the sms text in the notification; JB had it off (I don't recall whether ICS had it at all). All good.

But alas, (c) is much worse than I originally feared and I sure wish I'd stuck with ICS, as it changes my whole experience. Examples:

a) My most commonly-used app is Opera Mini Next and now it frequently hangs when selected from a long-press or the home screen - black screen, never goes away. On killing and restarting the app, I usually find it has forgotten all the tabs I had open, whether one or twenty-one. Under ICS, I often walked around with 30-40 news stories loaded on tabs to read later (i.e. when away from wifi). Now, I usually don't get to more than 5-10 before this problem sends them all west.

b) Spontaneously resets, hard-hangs or power-downs now happen multiple times a week, usually with at least some loss of data. They never happened in ICS.

c) Swype is veeeery slow to get going on an input field some times, and sometimes hangs for several seconds. Other similar slowdowns in general use have caused me to manually reset the phone every second day or so, sometimes twice a day. Similar actions were a weekly or monthly thing in ICS, and I don't recall doing them for those reasons.

I'm loath to try and revert to ICS, as the amount of work needed to recover from a factory reset is very significant. But for sure, this JB build feels like a downgrade and I counsel anyone currently with ICS to hang on to it until a newer JB update is released which addresses these issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones