• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 successful root to CM

The_Librarian

Apr 15, 2015
Hi All

My first post on these forums. Looks like a nice and friendly place :)

Anyways, my first introduction to rooting/flashing was when I rooted my Nexus (2012 wifi) to Cyanogenmod 11. This was done because I was getting increasingly frustrated and fed up with the massive and epic lags. The rooting went down successfully and without any issues. Boy, am I glad I rooted it first! (Battery life seems to be MUCH better).

Yesterday I decided to root my Galaxy S (which was my first Android phone). It also had epic lags, most especially when you tried to use google hangouts.

Installing the bootloader went off without a problem - but then the issues started. First off I was unable to sideload the correct cyanogenmod image. It bombed out at either 78% or 87%... and just keeps out bombing out no matter what I do.

Fine.

Copy cyanogenmod image over to my S3 mini, removed micro-SD card from my S3 mini, inserted micro-SD card into Galaxy S.

Success - sort of - then the installer rebooted and "lost" the CM image. I even tried to put it in the root of the SD card - but the image somehow got corrupted and would not install.

It was then that I decided to use the USB connection as a mount point, and managed to copy the CM image over to the phone.

Success at last - but starting the phone up produced the CM boot logo with the arrow going round and round. From prior experience with the Nexus I now know to empty the caches, most especially the Dalvik cache.

Success. Sweet success...

I'm now able to use google hangouts without any epic lag - I can feel the phone is a tad bit slower when using hangouts, but it is so much better than previously.

And, yes, I did make a backup of my previous ROM... but I'm not sure I'll want to go back to that dark time... :D

Great stuff, thanks to all the guys who made Cyanogenmod a possibility and a success. :)

Cheers!

Ook

Hi and welcome to Android Forums!

Your determination and persistence are admirable. I'm glad it worked out for you. Now you have a functioning ROM, I hope you immediately made android backup of that is you have a backup of your brand-new ROM.

It's good to see what problems you had, and your solution to them. It will help many a member is trying to do the same thing.

It's great to have you here :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones