1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S3 KILLS SD CARDS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ScornedNexus, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Becky_x

Becky_x Member

I said in a post last night that I noticed once I took my SD card out I now get better battery, 1% an hour sometimes longer.

Advertisement

2. clh42

clh42 Newbie

The issue is NOT just SanDisk cards or a specific size of card. There are plenty of posts within this thread of people with all kinds of brands, including Samsung's own SD card, and different sizes of cards having issues.

3. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Another thing to consider is a lot of these cards are probably made by one company with different branding printed on them.

4. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Well if Sandisk are saying that there is a flaw with their card design that is causing it and they have now fixed it, and the S3 is susceptible to exacerbating this flaw to breaking point, maybe other card manufacturers have the same flaw also that the S3 tears open.

If this is the case, then at least Sandisk have taken responsibility on their part, and their cards are most likely the safest to purchase from now on.

kusanag_91 likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

yeah agreed man but surely the "flaw" is samsungs?

6. davoid

davoid Android Expert

There's certainly an argument for that, since even their own sdcards get screwed in the phone lol

Although, it might be a case of incompatibility of error tolerances. Like if one manufacturer makes bolts, and another makes nuts, but the bolt manufacturer makes their bolts ever so slightly smaller than they should, and the nut manufacturer makes their nuts ever so slightly too large.

For the bolt manufacturer, most other manufacturer's nuts will work all right because their bolt is only slightly too small, and for the nut manufacturer their product will work fine with most other manufacturer's bolts because it is only slightly too large. But when you put together the products of both companies, there's too much of an error between them, and the nut will quite often fall off the bolt.

kusanag_91 and funkylogik like this.
  7. funkylogik

So what youre saying is.... my nuts are too small :p lol :)

8. davoid

davoid Android Expert

hahaha no. If you've got this problem, obviously your nuts are too large...

9. funkylogik

Lmao "she said" :)

10. clh42

clh42 Newbie

I'm not aware of this SanDisk info that you're referring to. Can you provide a link to such info? Thank you.

11. davoid

davoid Android Expert

funkylogik likes this.
  12. TadeoNYC

TadeoNYC Well-Known Member

My guess about the problem is that the new Samsung phones are pushing the cards to their rated limits and cards are failing because they can't keep up.

13. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

...so they write a letter to their local MP then burst into flames, right? ;)

iops differences between either side of the bus will not cause spontaneous card failure.

14. clh42

clh42 Newbie

Thanks much for the pointers. I see it's just within the last 2 weeks that this was revealed, which is probably why I hadn't heard of it yet. I contacted SanDisk using their on-line chat and have an RMA for the card. The guy at first said "there was no such known issue" even after I gave him the links to the articles. He ended up issuing an RMA anyway. Right before we ended the chat I did suggest "I wonder if I can be sure I'm getting a replacement manufactured after things were fixed." Then he said something like "We are working with Samsung on the issue. You won't have any issues with a replacement card." I'm not sure if he looked up the info with others or if he was just saying that to appease me. But anyway, I have an RMA.

I WAS surprised that they game me a prepaid shipping label to return my current card.

I'll post an update when I get the replacement (probably about 2 weeks) and have used it a bit to see if I still have issues or not.

funkylogik likes this.
  15. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Hmm. Funny that he said there was no such known issue. So what issue are they "working with Samsung" on then? lol

Good luck with the new card :)

16. clh42

clh42 Newbie

He said no known issue at the beginning of the chat, so obviously he in particular had not heard about it yet. The comment about working with Samsung was at the end of the chat (probably about a 15 or 20 minute chat, with some short periods of waiting for a response from him). So I'm not sure if he did some checking on his own with his own people after I gave him the links to the articles while we were still chatting, or if he just made the comment about working with Samsung to appease me just to get me to drop the issue. But since he did RMA the card anyway, I'm not too concerned about it.

17. THE W

THE W Android Expert

So how many people in this huge thread have had samsung cards go bad on them?

18. funkylogik

How many people think of Samsung when they choose an sd card lol ;)

19. THE W

THE W Android Expert

unless you dont have a computer, everything you put on your Sd card should be on your computer harddrive.

i combed through this thread and found that 3 or 4 people have claimed samsung cards went bad on them.

20. funkylogik

I think when i bought my sandisk, an equivelant samsung one was a few quid dearer. I knew about the problem in the s3 and that samsung would only replace samsung sds but i also knew that sandisk were replacing cards damaged in the s3. I have more customer loyalty for sandisk so thats what i chose lol. Id reccomend everyone back up anything they dont wana lose no matter what device or sd brand :thumbup:

davoid likes this.
  21. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Exactly. They might RMA your card, but they can't give you your data back.

Although before SanDisk recently said they have fixed the problem, I was considering getting a Samsung card next. In reviews they have much higher read speeds, and they're like water proof and temperature resistant etc. But if they still have the same problem and Sandisk don't then I'll go for the cheaper Sandisk thank you.

22. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert

Since I started reading this thread, I make a weekly backup of my SD card just to be on the safer side. I'm quite lucky nothing has happened yet and I hope nothing happens in the future.

23. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

My S3 does not see my SanDisk 32GB card as of today. No warning, just doesnt show up. The card is fine as I can see all the data on it from my pc. I will try formatting and see it it helps.

Bob

kusanag_91 likes this.
  24. Pookeysgirl

Pookeysgirl Well-Known Member

That's really the best thing to do. Back up as often as you can. I haven't had an issue (yet) with my sd card or my husbands. Hopefully we never will.

25. skramblr

skramblr Well-Known Member

This was exactly my problem. After several months, the card started unmounting and mounting itself. Sometimes it would work,but usually would not. It would just disappear. My battery life tanked to around 6hrs and if I removed the card it was normal again. Sandisk replaced my card and all is back to normal.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews