1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Samsung Galaxy S3 - switches off every night on its own

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bob_the_giraffe, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Bob_the_giraffe

Sep 10, 2009
    Hello

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for ages, unfortunately for me, the phone recently just switched off, then on, then won't go past the "Samsung" screen. Ah, I thought (well, something a bit more sweary) - but I had a backup identical model phone in case one broke, so I started using that. Moved all my apps, installed banking app etc, and then happy.

Or so I thought...

The new (well, it's an old phone, but one I haven't been using, bought as back up) phone now switches off when charging every night, an issue which was going to switch to me charging it during the day when I can stare at it and see if anything happens to make it switch off, but then I realised it switches off each night even when it isn't charging.

I have a bigger battery to hold a charge for a few days, and so even when I don't charge it, just have it next to me as I sleep - and next morning it will be off. I presume it might be switching off around 5am... this is only a rough guide as if I switch it back on, and flick through the phone, I see my unread emails are up to around 5am, and then after a few minutes it logs back into the internet etc and brings me newer emails.

I first thought it was that it kept switching off when charging... but now I know it does it at (I presume) the same time every night even when it's not charging. Can't use it as an alarm clock anymore, as it's off before the alarm goes off. Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Advertisement

2. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    Sounds like you have an app or something is set to automatically turn phone off at that time.

3. Jeffrey Parriott

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Bob
    I also have an S3 that has been doing that quite a bit. There are some good tips on how to clean the power button, start there that solved my issue for a while. You can also try some electrical lubricant, some have tried WD40, not sure if I'd do that myself. I'm to the point where I'm going to remove/disable my power switch, the thing is just driving me nuts. It shuts off just by swiping the screen, touching the back of the phone, you name it. Good luck.

4. Jeffrey Parriott

May 30, 2016
    Male
    Bob
    I also have an S3 that has been doing that quite a bit. There are some good tips on how to clean the power button, start there that solved my issue for a while. You can also try some electrical lubricant, some have tried WD40, not sure if I'd do that myself. I'm to the point where I'm going to remove/disable my power switch, the thing is just driving me nuts. It shuts off just by swiping the screen, touching the back of the phone, you name it. Good luck.

5. Bob_the_giraffe

Sep 10, 2009
    I gave up on this, kept driving me mental so have gone for a second hand S4 mobile for cheapness on ebay. It's a worry as it might happen to the new (ok second hand) phone. But brain imploded when I couldn't use the alarm each night and it switched off three billion times a day. Annoying...

6. Bob_the_giraffe

Sep 10, 2009
    I gave up on this, kept driving me mental so have gone for a second hand S4 mobile for cheapness on ebay. It's a worry as it might happen to the new (ok second hand) phone. But brain imploded when I couldn't use the alarm each night and it switched off three billion times a day. Annoying...

7. Bob_the_giraffe

Sep 10, 2009