• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy s4 sgh-i337 boot recovery loop

cocoteco

Lurker
Feb 5, 2020
Hello,

I have an S4 from ATT and after it ran out of battery last night it is now booting directly to recovery mode.

When I plug the charger it wont show the battery charging icon, it just makes a short vibration every like 10 seconds and the screen remains black.

I removed the battery and put it back again and tried to press volume down + power button to access the other mode but it wont allow me.

Since It just allows me to access the recovery mode, I performed a wipe data reset and it when through successfully but when phone restarted it took me back to the recovery screen again.

What can I do to fix this?

OK since you did do a data wipe I'm assuming you didn't want to save any personal data previously stored on this phone. Since it's apparently stuck in a boot loop even after the things you've tried it sounds like your next step is to try reflashing a stock ROM to restore it to working condition again.
Try installing Samsung's Smart Switch utility on a computer and see if that will restore your S4:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
This 'might' work but don't be too surprised if it doesn't. Whatever the case it's a handy utility to keep on hand to do backups of your S4 and it'll install the current Samsung driver which you'll need anyway to try flashing a ROM manually.
Go here and select the appropriate ROM for your specific model.
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/search/sgh-i337/
Just to confirm you have a SGH-i337 and not a SGH-i337M, yes? Be sure to use the ROM just for your device (and country and carrier), don't mix and match as they are not interchangeable with each other. When you select the appropriate ROM the chosen download page will show and in the right column are instructions on the flashing process.
Just some tips (primarily if you're using a Windows PC)
-- The Samsung driver will already be installed if you've installed Smart Switch.
-- When using the Odin utility, be sure to go into the Windows Task Manager and kill Smart Switch if its process is still running. The two might conflict with each other as they're both attempting to do the same things using the same background processes.
If you don't have access to a Win PC, there's also Heimdall. It's an Open Source utility functionally equivalent to Odin
https://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/
Some of the menus and naming conventions differ a bit so be flexible and use it the same as Odin.

When you're connecting your S4 to your computer, if you're going through a USB hub try connecting your phone directly to an open USB port instead to do the flashing process. This isn't an absolute but just a precaution, especially if you're not using a powered USB hub (as opposed to a USB hub simply powered by the USB port it's plugged into).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones