• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Running Too Slow and Draining Battery Too Fast + Unlock Question

Stephen Mol

Lurker
Feb 19, 2015
Hello everyone:

My Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone is running extremely slow at times. When I unlock it, screen will go off, when a call comes in, it doesn't display who's calling until it gets to the point of going to voicemail, and when the screen is on, it can be extremely slow. Especially when I plug it in to charge.

I know a factory reset should be done, but the last time I did that, I lost all of my contacts, text messages and even custom sounds I downloaded for my phone. How would I back up all of these things? Also, what folder do I find the sound files in?

I downloaded a notification sound from Zedge a while back and when I was running some clean up thing on my phone, I deleted it, however I still hear the sound. That's why I need to know where to find the files at.

Lastly, the phone is paid off now and is eligible to be unlocked. I'm currently with AT&T and looking to switch over to a service such as cricket wireless so that I can cut my wireless bill. How would I go about unlocking the phone?

Ok check the device app usage to see which apps are using more of the CPU. Some apps may have too much load on it.As for your notifications sounds etc, It's always good practice to backup all your device information to a SD card but preferably a cloud source like Google Drive. You can retrieve that information no matter what device you have as long as you have a Google account that you can log into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Install Samsung's Smart Switch utility on a computer and use that to back up your S7. Then when you do a Factory Reset you should be able to just restore everything back using Smart Switch.
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Regarding those custom sounds you've added, try to re-install the Zedge app and see if you can remove the sounds you don't want via the app itself. Then when you remove the app, tap on 'Force stop', then find 'Clear data' and tap on that, then tap on the Uninstall button. Using Clear data will wipe the app's settings and its cache. If that still doesn't work for you, Samsung includes a basic file manager app that you can use to manage your files and folders. In your apps menu look for the 'My Files' app.

Cricket being a MVNO with AT&T you shouldn't have too many problems switching over. To unlock it from AT&T, try using their unlocking page:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones