• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy SII

Even with a genuine OEM battery, NFC doesn't seem to work with it. I assume its because the rom is used to the original battery and the change in antenna messes things up. I will test this out buy installing a rom from scratch with my spare battery to see what happens.

No, the reason it does not work yet is because the software is not available at this time. The software that everyone expected is Google Wallet, which I understand has been released, but is blocked by T-Mobile (and several other carriers). The carriers want to use software that they are developing themselves because by doing so they can get a cut of each purchase. Google Wallet doesn't allow that, so they have blocked it. I think you can get around it by rooting the phone, but I am not sure if that is true.

I should also add that just today Phandroid announced that Google Wallet has been hacked so the script kiddies can get your PIN. Google will fix it, of course, but it makes one worry. Whether you root and use Google Wallet or wait for the carriers' software, how long before someone figures out how to hack the software? Let's face it, we're all targets. I look at it this way: I have a couple bank accounts and numerous plastic cards in my pocket, all of which I use in stores and online. There is exposure on every one of them. Do I need another potential exposure? Are the benefits of NFC worth the additional risk?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones