• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Samsung Galaxy - Try again in 17 minutes..

pengyou

Feb 17, 2011
North Dakota
I tried to swipe the screen of my phone today and it told me that the password was wrong. I kept trying...after a couple of times it said "try again in 3 minutes"...then 6 minutes...then 9 minutes...now it is up to 17 minutes. I am sure that I am swiping the correct pattern. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? I don't want to hard reset it unless I have no other choice. Is there a virus that might do this?

Did you enable "remote unlock" in the "Find My Mobile" settings? If you did then you can unlock it by visiting Samsung's findmymobile site.

I did wonder whether it might be a screen calibration problem, but presumably you can see the pattern it thinks you are swiping so we should be able to rule that out.

Malware is the least likely explanation for almost any anomaly ("virus" even less so, since technically a virus is a specific type of malware and Android malware is not of that type: your main worry there is "trojans", ).

Upvote 0
"Samsung Galaxy" is a family of phones, and each year adds new models to the family. Galaxy A, Galaxy S, Galaxy Z are all within that. We could really use at least the model phone; and whether you bought it unlocked from Samsung or at a cell provider store. Check your receipt to see if you can give us more details.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help. I have a Samsung Galaxy - don't remember the number, but I bought it this past August. I have had the same "password" since the beginning, so don't think I am using the wrong password.
I tried to swipe the screen of my phone today and it told me that the password was wrong. I kept trying...after a couple of times it said "try again in 3 minutes"...then 6 minutes...then 9 minutes...now it is up to 17 minutes. I am sure that I am swiping the correct pattern. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? I don't want to hard reset it unless I have no other choice. Is there a virus that might do this?
wait is it asking for a password or pattern?

Upvote 0
Keep attempting to brute force it, OP and you'll be forced to factory reset it. This is by design and similar to Apple who does the same thing if you attempt to brute force unlock a phone with the incorrect pattern, password or PIN.

This can happen if you skip confirming your unlock type during setup. This is why it's ALWAYS a good idea to re-enter it when setting a password, pattern or PIN so you don't miss it by one digit during setup, which is an easy mistake to make. Also it's a good idea to have a 'backup' unlock method so you can choose it if the primary fails to work.

I had an A13 5G, too. I had three unlock types, Face Unlock, PIN and Password. Often one or two of the methods would fail forcing me to use the third so I was glad I set them all up.

Upvote 0
As for the possibility of a virus causing this problem, it is less likely. Modern smartphones are equipped with security measures to prevent viruses from causing such specific problems. However, you should regularly update your phone's security software and be cautious about installing apps from untrusted sources.

If none of the steps above worked and you still can't unlock your Samsung phone, you may need to consider doing a factory reset. Make sure to back up your data before doing so, as factory reset will erase all data on the device. If the problem persists even after a factory reset, it could be a hardware related problem and you may need to seek professional help or contact the manufacturer for assistance. extra help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones