• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Keyboard Be Gone!

sonicbluemustang

Android Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2010
I use the Swiftkey keyboard and even after defaulting the setting to Swiftkey when I activate a bluetooth device it continually will return to the Samsung board. That is just annoying as all get out.
Solution: Using Titanium Backup to backup the stock Samsung Keyboard then uninstall the keyboard from the system has solved my problem.

Reactions: viktorpayung1977
Well to tell the truth I am running the stock rom but that is a no no with a Custom Recovery. Rule 4 or 7 (I can't remember which) is Never do a Factory Reset from within the Rom, Always use the recovery to wipe your data and caches.

Nandroid Guys!

Once you have deleted a system app, it is gone for good. Doesn't matter where you do the factory reset from. A reset only wipes user data. There is no room on the device for a spare system image.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and Hadron
Upvote 0
Do not rely on Titanium to get you out of that. You'll need a nandroid backup to get you out of that mess.

It makes no difference whether you do a reset using the system menu or recovery. If you delete the keyboard from /system there is no keyboard in your ROM any more. If you wipe /data that removes any user-installed keyboard. Do both and you have no keyboard. This isn't a theory, we've see plenty of people make this mistake. And if you do that you won't be able to sign in, reinstall Titanium or restore a Titanium backup.

Recovery is entirely separate from the Android OS, and the input methods available in recovery are part of recovery and nothing to do with what's available when running Android.

So if you insist on seeing for yourself, make a nandroid first. A backup that requires an android app to restore it (Titanium) doesn't help if you cannot enter android.

Upvote 0
Well to debunk all thoughts on this subject, After Wiping the data and caches it seems to default to the Swipe keyboard (a system keyboard also) and using the built in file explorer you can still install a keyboardAPK without a keyboard.
Yes I love Nandroids and there should be a Custom Recovery on all phones.

Have fun!

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
Yeah probably could have but it is backed up if I ever wanted, which I won't. To stop it's built in default was the main reason every time a bluetooth device was activated. That's just annoying.
I have some other ideas for customizing i hope later.
No borking here, LOL. Like I said also a keyboard can be installed easily. If it's looped, I can fix it.
I forgot how much fun this stuff was.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones