• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Messages app - exploit/security risk?

sammysega

Lurker
Sep 5, 2023
Does anyone else using the Samsung Messages app get these texts? What would be the exploit they are trying to take advantage of?
  • From international numbers
  • No notification of new message, but shows up in your list of conversations with (No subject) and a date
  • When you click into the conversation there is no message, no date
  • Blue dot next to profile pic indicates they use Samsung chat mode (?)

just curious as to why you blocked the phone numbers, if they are spamming you?

just block those numbers. sometimes they send text, just to see if there is a response. or that the message went thru. they will then probably sell your number off to actual spam bots.

there is no exploit or hacking going.

you might want to consider using spam blockers like youmail, hiya, and others like them.

Upvote 0
just curious as to why you blocked the phone numbers, if they are spamming you?

just block those numbers. sometimes they send text, just to see if there is a response. or that the message went thru. they will then probably sell your number off to actual spam bots.

there is no exploit or hacking going.

you might want to consider using spam blockers like youmail, hiya, and others like them.
Hi, I wasn't sure if the scammers are spoofing a real person's number, so in case the number belonged to a real unrelated person I didn't want to plaster it on the Internet.

I've gotten plenty of spam texts before, but this was the first one where there wasn't actually a text, just the number showing up in my text message inbox.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi, I wasn't sure if the scammers are spoofing a real person's number, so in case the number belonged to a real unrelated person I didn't want to plaster it on the Internet.

I've gotten plenty of spam texts before, but this was the first one where there wasn't actually a text, just the number showing up in my text message inbox.
thats a good point.

yeah just blocks those or get a better spam blocker.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones