• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment Overheating

Go download the app "spare parts" from the market. from there you can get an overview of what is running in the back ground. The reason your phone is getting so hot is because there is something that is running constantly using the phones battery and network. make sure your use wireless networks is disabled in your settings. What apps do you have right now?

Upvote 0
See that's the thing. I thought it may have been apps running in the background, but... the only thing that would be doing that is the Google Voice app and the Google apps preloaded on the phone. I have the Facebook app installed, but it's only set to check once every hour. I've got the free version of Advanced Task Killer running so I can kill anything that misbehaves, but other than that... not much.

Upvote 0
I use a leather case to carry mine all of the time, I've never seen it get that hot. If you have good signal strength then it sounds like you've got something running in the background that is constantly transmitting data. Step one - get rid of your ATK program, they are worthless and chew battery if you leave them running all the time. Step two - download Spare Parts from the market. The next time this happens go into Spare parts and look at the battery history section. You'll likely find that your "Running" is at or near 100%. Look through the different kinds of usage and you'll see the culprits listed in order of how much they use each resource.

Reactions: Podar
Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. I just recently purchased my Moment from the Sprint store and my battery sucks. I've tried to cycle it several time with no luck.. I pulled it off the charger at 9 and it was back on at 12! It also get pretty hot under usage and charging. 45 degrees celcius right now. I've also noticed the phone likes to randomly restart when its hot or just freeze. Acccording to spare parts running was at 32%. But it just froze and restarted.. now its at 100%

Upvote 0
my battery routinely gets to 43c when I am browsing the web, with or without wifi (I use wifi at home due to poor signal). It stays cool when it is not being used. Is that normal or should I investigate a new battery? phone getting hot is one of my issues, the other being battery life, and I guess they are connected. It did this before 2.1 and still does after, although battery life is worse than before.

Upvote 0
I am having problems with my battery getting really hot after this 2.1 update. It didn't do that before. Seems to happen with the phone turned off and charging. I have very little installed, but it also seems to get much hotter than before the 2.1 update just running what it does. I do have a hard plastic case snapped around it. Running 44c right now with a couple of apps running. What is normal temp ranges?

It also seems like my battery life is crap again since the update to 2.1 after I had been getting great battery life after the "calibration" process after I first got the phone.

Why is it the update just caused me more problems than it solved? Although it hasn't gone in to Airplane Mode since the update. I guess that's a plus at this point.

The battery overheating and getting as hot as it did really worries me. Should I take it to the Sprint store and have them swap batteries?

Tek

Upvote 0
Well I took mine to both a sprint store and service center and both agreed that it was overheating. I am within my 30 day window so I am getting a new phone direct from Sprint. The more I think about it the more I think that if it doesn't come already installed with 2.1 I may forego the update this time around!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones