• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Vibrant *BUGS*

A few updates.

I went to a T-mobile store close to my house and told them that my phone was acting up. They said that they would have no problem accepting and replacing the phone *if I could produce the box and accessories that came with it*.

I called the guy I bought my phone from. I had told him about the problems and he said that he wasn't sure what was going on. The seller didn't want to refund my money, and he didn't have a box (or any other accessories) to give me that would allow me to get my replacement from T-mobile.

Eventually (after a lot of texting back and forth) he agreed to loan me his Samsung Vibrant while he worked on fixing the one he sold to me.

I have the loaner right now. No problems so far, but I haven't played with it much.
I hope that he can get it fixed.

Also, the T-mobile guy said that his original Vibrant (the one they gave him during his training) did the same thing (freeze/reboot) and that they just replaced it without saying what was wrong.

Just curious, did the seller get you straightened out?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I found a bug I haven't seen anyone talk about. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks. A week and a half ago (or so), people started telling me that they had called me, yet my phone never rang. Some even said, "Well, did you get the message I left you?". No, I didn't (never got a message notification).

So I started thinking, "What apps have I installed since this problem started? What might possibly interfere with incoming calls?". Then it dawned on me: Visual Voicemail. I activated it right around the time my phone (often) stopped ringing. FYI, it's the Visual Voicemail that came with Vibrant (version 1.1.14).

I deactivated it yesterday, and have been calling myself over and over using google's new Gmail "call phone" service, and it rings every time.

I would power cycle the phone when I was having this issue, and get notifications for all the voicemails that had been left by people when my phone didn't ring. Email notifications pretty much always came through while the "no ring" problem was happening, by the way.

Haven't really seen anyone else complain about this.

Oh, and is it "normal" to get TWO notifications for voicemail (one from the standard voicemail and another from the visual voicemail)? I always thought that was sorta odd that it worked that way (especially since the Visual Voicemail app came with the phone). I have a 3rd party SMS program that allows me to speak to it so I can text people while driving, and that always pops up along side the phone's SMS message notification).

Hope this helps someone with the same issue.

Oh, and it also just dawned on me that I -may- have been occasionally killing the Visual Voicemail app with Advanced Task Manager. That probably didn't help the situation any if I did...

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I found a bug I haven't seen anyone talk about. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks. A week and a half ago (or so), people started telling me that they had called me, yet my phone never rang. Some even said, "Well, did you get the message I left you?". No, I didn't (never got a message notification).

So I started thinking, "What apps have I installed since this problem started? What might possibly interfere with incoming calls?". Then it dawned on me: Visual Voicemail. I activated it right around the time my phone (often) stopped ringing. FYI, it's the Visual Voicemail that came with Vibrant (version 1.1.14).

I deactivated it yesterday, and have been calling myself over and over using google's new Gmail "call phone" service, and it rings every time.

I would power cycle the phone when I was having this issue, and get notifications for all the voicemails that had been left by people when my phone didn't ring. Email notifications pretty much always came through while the "no ring" problem was happening, by the way.

Haven't really seen anyone else complain about this.

Oh, and is it "normal" to get TWO notifications for voicemail (one from the standard voicemail and another from the visual voicemail)? I always thought that was sorta odd that it worked that way (especially since the Visual Voicemail app came with the phone). I have a 3rd party SMS program that allows me to speak to it so I can text people while driving, and that always pops up along side the phone's SMS message notification).

Hope this helps someone with the same issue.

Oh, and it also just dawned on me that I -may- have been occasionally killing the Visual Voicemail app with Advanced Task Manager. That probably didn't help the situation any if I did...

You have to deactivate the SMS and voicemail you dont want to get notifications from or yes, you will get one from each. I am only using Handcent SMS so that is the notifications i recieve and turned off the standard SMS notices.

I dont use the visual voicemail.

Upvote 0
Anyone having text messaging issues? Using the standard text program that comes with the phone has been giving me a few issues. It has only happened a few times but when I select one thread it goes to a different thread. I have to close out of the messaging app completely to be able to select the thread I want. I actually hit reply to a message once and it sent the text to a totally different contact, but still showed up in the message thread for the person I intended it for. I didn't know that it had been sent to the wrong person until I got a text back from a very confused friend.

Suggestions? I'm thinking of installing a new text messaging app such as Handcent but I've heard it can be laggy. Anyone have it installed and can share thoughts?

Woah, this is pretty serious, considering we have three people now confirming that they've sent messages to the wrong recipient.

Gotta start deleting these threads then... :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones