• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sandvold rom issue - can't get pass boot screen now

MarmiteX1

Dec 27, 2010
Hi there.

I have been using the Sandvold ICS Beta_0.15.0.1 rom for 2 months. Today i switched my phone off and charged the phone.

I then switched the phone on after it was fully charged. I got to the boot screen where it shows a blue x but this time i cant get passed it but the phone gets very warm.

I've wiped the dalvik cache but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

What should i do?

Thanks in advance

How recent are your backups? I don't know the cause here, but if dalvik wipe hasn't helped my next guesses are reflash the ROM, and if that doesn't work then factory reset.

Before that though, try pulling the battery (without trying to shut down first) and leaving it out for a couple of minutes before trying again. Sometimes that's enough to clear out the system.

Upvote 0
I've reflashed the rom twice. The first time i did it, i tried to enable App2sd functionality using the terminal emulator. It asked me restart. I entered 'y'. The phone restarted but i could not get pass the boot screen :(

I then took out the battery, waited for 15 mins then stuck it back in. I booted the phone up again but the same issue occurred.

I then took the battery out, put it back in. Booted the phone into CWM recovery. Wipe Factory etc etc. Flashed the same rom.

However I am concerned about why the App2SD feature is causing the issue now when in the prior to this, it was not an issue.

Do you know what could be causing the issue when i enable App2SD?

Thanks in advance,

Upvote 0
I dont think i can format it from CWM since i have an old version. I have 2.0.5.7 which i installed via Unrevoked. I dont see that option in the recovery menu.

In recovery this an option called "Mount sd-ext". Should i try this to check if my current Sd-ext is corrupted?

Will G-Parted be able to delete the partition and create a new one?

Upvote 0
Oh yes, GParted can do anything. But back up your fat32 partition first, because that is very unlikely to survive remaking any partitions.

You could try taking a new nandroid. That will try to back up the ext partition, which will confirm whether recovery can read it. But don't erase your previous one in case it can't (or in case restoring causes problems).

Upvote 0
Ah sounds like a plan.

But before i try this, I've just ran the following command in the terminal emulator and it appears to recognise my current sd-ext:

# mount | grep sd-ext
# /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext ext4, rw, nosuid, nodev, noatime, nodirtime, nousr_xattr, commit=15 barrier=1, data=ordered, noauto_da_alloc 0 0

What does the above mean?

I have also ran the command a2sd checkext and i get the following results
Found block device /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
/sd-ext is mounted
Meaning it does not have fatal errors

Thanks & Regards,

Upvote 0
Eventhough the sd-ext does not have fatal errors according to the results, something is causing it not to allow it to progress further pass the boot screen.

I forgot to mention that when i choose wipe data/factory reset it wipes the SD-EXT so it looks it it does recognise the partition.

I also noticed that if i don't use the mount | grep command and instead use a2sd diskspace it states that 16MB but how can it if i havent mounted it.

Upvote 0
I don't trust all utilities to report a2sd space when it isn't in use. My ROM does not have an a2sd script, but Quick System Info will still claim I've used a few 10s of MB.

So the partition is there, but trying to activate a2sd leads to a lock-up. And you've tried flashing the ROM and doing a factory reset. Does it lock up if you activate a2sd straight after a factory reset? That would eliminate the possibility that it's something you've installed.

If so, I'm short of ideas other than repartitioning the card :(

I suppose you could test whether the partition works with a different a2sd ROM, but that's getting further away from where you want to be and so not helping solve this. A better question might be whether a more recent version (e.g. beta 0.18) works with the a2sd? I think that's probably the last idea I have other than remaking the partitions and hoping that does it.

Upvote 0
Ah i see.

I tried the a2sd install straight after i performed factory reset etc and it started to lock up as well.

The ROM i currently have does support app2sd. I installed in July for the first time, created the partition and activated app2sd. After that it worked like a charm until now :(

i appreciate your assistance, i think i will try repartitioning the sd-ext using GParted and if that fails then i will install the most recent sandvold rom like you suggest.

I don't want to sound rude but i will try the above in few days since i will have limited access to the internet due to work commitments.

Upvote 0
Well i had some free time today so i thought i'd try and fix the problem :)

The good news is...its working!

I backed up all my data from SDCard. Used GParted to delete the existing ext3 partition.

I then created a new one. Then booted up the phone.

I then went into Terminal Emulator and did this:
su
a2sd install
y,
n,
y,

The rebooted and i got past the boot logo.

FYI, i only tried the 0.15 ROM.

I'd like to thank you for your time in assisting me.

Upvote 0
Well the issue has come back again. Today i tried to activate the airplane mode and the phone suddenly restarted and it goes past the HTC screen but stays on the blue nexus boot logo. :mad:

I wait for 20mins. Surely it doesnt take that long to boot up the desire. I then took the battery out and tried again, same issue.

Can someone assist please? I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Right, i have got the phone back to its state by following the steps
  1. Wipe Factory/Reset
  2. Wipe Cache Partition
  3. Wipe Dalvik Cache
  4. Run a2sd from terminal emulator
  5. y, n, y

I haven't yet installed any apps yet as i think it could be due to an app but i am not 100% sure. Therefore i will install 1 app at a time.

Upvote 0
Hey there, thanks for sharing that with me. So far i have installed the following apps on November 3rd:
AngryBirds
Basketball
FruitNinja
Twitter
Dolphin Browser
Titantium Backup
Perfect world clock
Barcode Scanner
Fast Installer
Logo quiz
Bubble

I am keeping my eye on what i install for extra precaution. I had a look in that thread and i do agree it could be something in the rom thats causing it. Also its strange how Google play update is causing it as well. I wonder how if i have that update?

Apparently I have the Google Play update which is 3.9.16 which came out in October. Do you know which version is causing the issue?

Also how did you fix it? Did you use the adb command?

Upvote 0
well i have solved the issue by following lowrider13's approach.

All i did is download the latest version of Sandvold ROM, download the vending-no-restrictions.apk, replace the vending.apk in the rom with the one that i had downloaded. But before you replace it remember to rename the one you downloaded to to Vending.apk. Thats very important.

I then zipped the file contents up and transferred it to my sd-card. Rebooted my phone, performed a full wipe of the phone apart from my sd-card. Flashed the rom.

Once my phone was set up etc, i switched my phone, waited for few minutes, turned the phone back on. I was expecting the issue to come back but it didn't :)

I'd like to thank everyone for assisting me. much appreciated!

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones