• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scratched Keyboard

Yeah, my scratches get worse by the day. What will this look like in 6 months? I also have hardly any wobble to my screen FWIW. I'm supposed to be hearing from the store I bought it from. I called customer service to ask them about it and they put a "note" on my account for the store I bought it from to replace it. I'm waiting to hear back from that store because they said they'd need to speak with their manager before they replaced it. It bothers me every time I open my phone, but I do realize that it is a cosmetic issue. If they won't replace it, I'm still happy with my phone overall.

Upvote 0
Update: Just got off the phone with the store manager where I bought the phone. He said since it's past the 30 days, he cannot replace the phone. He called the manager at another local store with a service center. They said that on October 23rd, they are changing their policy on phones with cosmetic issues. Currently, they are charging $119.99 for phones that are getting replaced (with insurance) with cosmetic issues. Starting October 23rd, they are changing it to $35 for people with insurance. If I wait until then, I can get it swapped for a new (he said it should be new, not refurbished) phone and he would credit my account the $35 it would cost me to replace it.

Reactions: Orlando Boom
Upvote 0
Hi all. My Epic slider started off very tight. It would slide nicely, and there was no issue with scratches or play. After a month of heavy use and carrying it around in pockets, the slider is noticeably looser, and there is a small gap on the sides between the two halves - it's almost like the top half is concaved.

Last week I started to hear a bit of a grating sound when opening and closing the phone, and a few scratches showed up on the keyboard. Looking at the mechanism, the bottom of the top half of the slider looks to be very smooth with a metal plate on it where most of these scratches seem to be occurring. So it led me to believe that it probably wasn't the phone parts themselves scrapping on the keyboard.

I was able to remedy my problem of keyboard scratching by using a can of perfect dust (compressed air) and lightly blowing out any dirt and debris that had accumulated in between the sliding mechanisms. Some small pieces of sandy grit definitely came out. Now when I use the slider, there is no longer any grating noise, and my keyboard no longer seems to be accumulating new scratches. I am planning on repeating the cleaning procedure every couple of weeks to ensure that no more debris can collect in that tight spot and scratch my keyboard.

I would definitely recommend being very cautious when using compressed air, and do not use anything high pressured, or i could see potential for damaging the connections in the mechanism. Also, be sure to hold the can upright and to spray only small amounts at a time to prevent freezing your device, and to keep any condensation from getting in between your two phone halves.

I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but it seems to have worked for my device. Now if I could only find a way to tighten up the slide mechanism that I am sure is only going to get looser as I continue to use my phone.

Upvote 0
does anyone knows if that 35 dollar deal is still going on?

i have a sprint store nearby and i really wanna get another epic

im worried about the scratching keyboard getting worse

ive only had it for 2 weeks and its really annoying

Well if its a new phone within the first 30 days of purchase just bring it back for a free exchange.

Upvote 0
same here, I am getting the phone replaced if it gets worse

I will claim whatever I have to do to get them to replace it including bricking it and using my repair and service plan to get it replaced for free

I have been told that I must make a claim on the insurance for a damaged phone, but after complaining to sprint corporate care for IBM employees they have assured me that I have service/repair and it covers physical damage to the phone - I can take it into a store and get it replaced for free 1 time per year - I will be doing this if it gets to scratched

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones