• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Brightness/flicker issue post 4.3

dcheramie

Mar 1, 2011
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this issue before ; Had my Nexus for a little over a year now and just recently got the 4.3 update (2 days ago) ; Phone is non-rooted, no new apps lately, just the 4.3 OTA update.

everything has seemed fine until this morning when i unplug it from its charger and headed out to work this morning. I turned off wi-fi which is usually on at home (no issue) ; head out the door and proceed to try and use the phone about a 1/2 hour later ; Phone screen starts flickering/flashing like a fluorescent bulb that is trying come on and can't. Finally the screen goes about 90% dark ; I notice as well a stuck red pixel that's flashing 3/4 of the way down the screen.

Thinking that the auto brightness setting may be causing this, i go in and turn it off ; Screen stays super dark ; Even manually sliding the brightness to max, the screen is now barely visible.

I've checked the various threads about screen flickering on these devices and tried the advice in these threads about toggling various wi-fi settings with no luck ; Tempted now to try and make sure everything i care about is backed up and factory reset it to see if this fixes the problem.

Anyone else seen this/thoughts on the cause? Phone maybe defective/dying?

just as an update...went ahead and factory reset the phone and it actually got worse..

it sat there with a black screen that was barely flickering..eventually, 15-20 minutes later, i could somewhat read the setup wizard and re-setup the phone..

It got brighter during this time and for about 5 minutes, almost seemed normal

then *poof* dim and now the screen has gone black.. unable to be read at all..

I'm at a loss..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones