• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen extra greasy?

I'm approaching six months with the GSM Nexus, and I've noticed that the screen is getting a LOT greasier than it used to. It's almost as though some protective coating has worn off. Anyone else notice this or am I just getting oilier?

i have 2 theories.

1. there is some sort of anti-smudge protection from the factory and it has simply worn off....of this is the case, i want to know what they used and put it back on there. love it.

2. we pretty much all bought this phone in the winter time....air is dry and cold....which makes out hands dry. since we are getting in to the muggier part of the year and having warmer temps, our hands are getting sweatier....thus leaving smudges on the screen like crazy.

maybe it is one, maybe both, maybe neither...who knows. but i do notice it. been noticing it for a couple months now...but i live in Florida so it is always hot and muggy here.

Upvote 0
it does have an oleophobic coating. I believe they wear off over time, but have no idea what "time" means. Like months, years, decades? I have an original iPad from when they first came out with a similar coating, and it still works well. I don't know what older devices had a similar coating to gauge how long they should last.

Upvote 0
Funny, I was thinking about posting this the other day. My screen ABSOLUTELY takes on more grease now. I think the theory about it wearing off or the weather conditions make a lot of sense.

I have never used anything but a soft dry cloth of some kind (along with some breath) to wipe my screen. But I do find it is much more prone to grease now than it was 6 months ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones