• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen lock

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
I've searched and got quite a bit on the privacy end.

My Moto has seemed to start opening programs on the list that only runs in memory - the ones you are not supposed to use task killers on. If I leave them for android, I find them open after I get the phone out of the leather holster I use. I've found the camera on and the phone has got hot.

They used to shut off, and stay off, but Moto just put out a security update and leaving apps for android to take care of no longer seems to work. I can task kill from the screen and will have to.

I'd like a suggestion for some kind of program to run as a memory aid.

Can a lock screen shut off any apps until unlocked? Would be the simplest way, but have not seen any answers to that question directly when searching.

Unlocked and running 6.0

The only task killer comes with Marshmallow. You can minimize and close the programs by hitting the X. Android does not distinguish between normal use programs and barely used ones despite the claim. I left it once and it didn't close a program I use only once a year. It just held it in memory.

Upvote 0
The proximity does turn off and on, but I've used the camera and if the light comes on it stays on. I've pulled a hot phone out of the holster twice. Now I use the minimize button to the right of the home button and close the app.

Closed the app via whatever MM calls the manager and the phone cooled off.

Upvote 0
You could just always hit the power button turning off the screen before you put it in your holster.

Older Android versions did this automatically. Newer versions of Android don't.

The problem is ... when you use the camera if the proximity sensor turns the screen off you frequently turn the screen off by mistake.

My solution using Tasker ...

Profile/Task to turn the screen off when proximity sensor is covered unless I am on a phone call.
Task to toggle the Profile/Task on or off.

When I use the camera I toggle the profile/task off and when I am done I toggle he profile/task on.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones