• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen orientation

Hi, I have a new Desire, which I just turned on about an hour ago, and I'm playing about with it. Impressed so far, having never owned a smart phone before.

However, I seem to have a problem with screen orientation. The screen will rotate to landscape in some situations but not others. In particular it won't do it on the home screen or the contacts screen. I have the box ticked in settings to "switch orientation automatically"? Is this usual? It's quite annoying.

Sorry to revive this thread, but it begs the question that I'm sure at least a few other people have, are there good alternative apps for contacts and calendar that DO rotate, at least during text entry modes, so that the landscape touch pad keyboard can be used? This would certainly reduce typing errors since the keys of the usual portrait keyboard is SO small. (HTC Incredible)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Upvote 0
I second this. I'm very new to the Android scene. Had a Mogul (Windows) before. Is there a way to at least input to contacts in landscape mode on the Hero?

Sorry to revive this thread, but it begs the question that I'm sure at least a few other people have, are there good alternative apps for contacts and calendar that DO rotate, at least during text entry modes, so that the landscape touch pad keyboard can be used? This would certainly reduce typing errors since the keys of the usual portrait keyboard is SO small. (HTC Incredible)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones