• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen suddenly stays on when charging

Anyone else notice their Skyrocket begin to stay awake when plugged in lately? I'm on stock gingerbread and note that the stay awake option under Development is not an option on this phone's stock rom.

I've tried uninstalling any recently installed or updated apps with no luck. I've also noticed a big hit to my battery since this started as well. It seems like maybe not only does the screen not turn off when charging, but the phone rarely enters 'sleep' or 'standby' anymore, which could account for the decreased battery life.

I added a 'stay awake' widget in hopes of accessing the option directly, but that doesn't make a difference, either, and was already disabled when I added the widget to the home screen.

Any ideas?

I finally got this resolved. I eventually installed the stay awake widget on the market and made sure both USB and AC were disabled. Once I did that, my screen turned off while plugged in. When playing with this widget, I noticed it wasn't altering the setting of the Extended Controls toggle I had added, so when I went and dug a little deeper, I realized I had actually added the 'Screen Always On' toggle, as opposed to the 'Stay Awake' toggle. Once I swapped the toggle within EC, that one worked as well, which means I'll likely be uninstalling the Stay Awake Widget since it's redundant.

So the remaining question is why/how the hell the Stay Awake option (which is not accessible via Settings on the Skyrocket) was enabled to begin with? I don't suppose I'll ever know the answer to that, but at least there are ways around it. I just wish I'd figured it out sooner. When searching forums and such, most people are trying to figure the opposite problem - not having the setting available, and wanting to enable it, not the other way around. Ironically, the solution is pretty much the same thing :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones