• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen tint on newer vs older Captivate

So practically speaking, what will happen to the non-blue displays over the course of 1-2 years? How long does it take to see a noticeable difference?

The screen will get warmer as time passes (color temperature decreases).

You shouldn't worry about it though. After 2 years of normal use, the difference will be very, very small.

I would just get the screen that looks best out of the box.

Upvote 0
Where are you guys finding the build date?

I don't know how other ppl are finding their build dates (not battery date) but I found out mine by registering my phone with samsung. When I finished typing in my serial number it popped up a manufactured date...theoretically you don't actually have to register your phone to get your date since you could quit the process at that point.

On the main topic, my BUILD date is 7/12/10 and my battery date is 7/1/10. I don't have this screen battery drain problem. I admit I haven't tried the 4 hour test but if I keep my phone in my pocket without looking at it I can go an hour without going down a % (if I'm in good coverage). I can't tell of mine is really blue our just blue (relatively speaking)...but it definitely has a ever-so-slight lean toward bluish. For those ppl wondering wether their phone has the screen problem I think the fact that you aren't sure most likely means that your phone doesn't have the problem. From the sounds of it the battery drain is pretty profound to such an extent that there would be little doubt.

Perhaps it's just defective screens in general with nothing to do with the date of manufacture...it could just be something that always has a chance to happen. I don't see samsung changing their build process that quickly, unless it was something easy to remedy. I guess it's something totally different but this is a company that is taking 2 months and counting to release a software gps fix that, from what I read, sounds like it should be pretty easy make. And if the newer built phones have better gps why isn't there an ota update already? Anyway I guess I'm skeptical that samsungs whole first batch of captivates were flawed. I would think they would have done a recall, especially for something as erroneous as a screen that never actually turns off. And generally skeptical that samsung has changed anything at all in the building of the captivate.

Upvote 0
Who keeps a phone for years anyway?

Plenty of people. Like me. Last one lasted 5 years.

We shouldn't have to toss our devices due to planned obsolescence from short-lifespan components. That's the game Apple plays with their non-removable batteries.

The Captivate is a versatile handheld computer and just as I don't buy a new computer every 2 years, nor do I wish to have to buy a new "phone". If I chose to, it'll just be my option and not something I'm forced into because of crappy parts.

That said, I'm not worried about my Captivate's screen over time.

Upvote 0
I don't know how other ppl are finding their build dates (not battery date) but I found out mine by registering my phone with samsung. When I finished typing in my serial number it popped up a manufactured date...theoretically you don't actually have to register your phone to get your date since you could quit the process at that point.

On the main topic, my BUILD date is 7/12/10 and my battery date is 7/1/10. I don't have this screen battery drain problem. I admit I haven't tried the 4 hour test but if I keep my phone in my pocket without looking at it I can go an hour without going down a % (if I'm in good coverage). I can't tell of mine is really blue our just blue (relatively speaking)...but it definitely has a ever-so-slight lean toward bluish. For those ppl wondering wether their phone has the screen problem I think the fact that you aren't sure most likely means that your phone doesn't have the problem. From the sounds of it the battery drain is pretty profound to such an extent that there would be little doubt.

Perhaps it's just defective screens in general with nothing to do with the date of manufacture...it could just be something that always has a chance to happen. I don't see samsung changing their build process that quickly, unless it was something easy to remedy. I guess it's something totally different but this is a company that is taking 2 months and counting to release a software gps fix that, from what I read, sounds like it should be pretty easy make. And if the newer built phones have better gps why isn't there an ota update already? Anyway I guess I'm skeptical that samsungs whole first batch of captivates were flawed. I would think they would have done a recall, especially for something as erroneous as a screen that never actually turns off. And generally skeptical that samsung has changed anything at all in the building of the captivate.

I never got that message when I registered mine and I was looking carefully so that I didn't miss it. Thanks for the reply. I called Samsung and they say my phone was manufactured in August they didn't have a date though, my battery was built on 7/24 according to the battery.

Upvote 0
i just posted in the other blueish tint thread but i felt i needed to express my date, the blueish tint is minor on my phone (possibly non existent)

but my battery date seems to be an original 07/04/2010. anyone else with this date? so far in this thread it seems to be a special breed. hopefully a good one

Upvote 0
And how's your battery life?

My battery life is normal, depends on use. If i have wifi on, gps on, blue tooth on, and i'm actively using the phone, I get maybe 6hrs... if I optimize everything I get 2 days.

You know, you need to realize. Samsung has been making these phones and batteries long before you and I got our captivate or samsung vibrant. The phones screen was in production for the world variations of the galaxy s phones.

Also, just because your phone was manufactured today for example, doesn't mean the screen wasn't taken from a stock of screens made 3 months ago. Chances are the screens are already made months ago, and your date is nothing more than just the assembly date.
They didn't make your screen the same day they assembled your phone
Chances are the person buying their phone today, has a screen from the same batch made a couple months ago, same batch you and I got.

anyways

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones