• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen washes out??

aaron0408

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
After updating my Nexus 7 to 4.2.1, the screen quickly washed out but the colors come back after using it for a while. Also after waking up my tablet after a couple of hours or even minutes the screen washes out again, not really sure what's wrong... Will really appreciate the help! Thanks!

First of all, welcome to AndroidForums, aaron0408!

In mid-December I had a similar problem but it was constant, not intermittent. My screen looked like the contrast control on a TV was set too low. Nothing I did would make it go away. Even the reboot screen was washed out. It was a hardware problem. I contacted ASUS, got an RMA number and sent it out to them in Texas. My N7 came back one week later with a repaired/replaced display. Haven't had any troubles since.

Our problems may not be the same but consider it may be a hardware problem and getting it fixed is only a one week inconvenience.

Finally, for a goof, if you have the display set to auto-brightness, you may want to disable it and set your brightness manually for a while to see if that's what's being weird on your tablet.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Sorry to kick up old thread but didnt want to just post a new one... I have an N7 that was working fine.. These are the ones we check out here at work so it has literally no use and of course the warranty is gone...

But now the screen looks totally washed out and bright all the time.. I have tried display settings of course, rooting and using the tegra tweak, and a hard reset (after returning to stock and locked)..

Is there something Im missing? Will replacing the display help or is it deeper than that? Its a decent tablet with maybe 4 hours use, would hate to have to toss it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones