1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Screen washes out??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aaron0408, Jan 20, 2013.

1. aaron0408

aaron0408 Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2013
    After updating my Nexus 7 to 4.2.1, the screen quickly washed out but the colors come back after using it for a while. Also after waking up my tablet after a couple of hours or even minutes the screen washes out again, not really sure what's wrong... Will really appreciate the help! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    First of all, welcome to AndroidForums, aaron0408!

In mid-December I had a similar problem but it was constant, not intermittent. My screen looked like the contrast control on a TV was set too low. Nothing I did would make it go away. Even the reboot screen was washed out. It was a hardware problem. I contacted ASUS, got an RMA number and sent it out to them in Texas. My N7 came back one week later with a repaired/replaced display. Haven't had any troubles since.

Our problems may not be the same but consider it may be a hardware problem and getting it fixed is only a one week inconvenience.

Finally, for a goof, if you have the display set to auto-brightness, you may want to disable it and set your brightness manually for a while to see if that's what's being weird on your tablet.

Good luck!

3. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    Patrol / SWAT
    Carrsville Va
    Sorry to kick up old thread but didnt want to just post a new one... I have an N7 that was working fine.. These are the ones we check out here at work so it has literally no use and of course the warranty is gone...

But now the screen looks totally washed out and bright all the time.. I have tried display settings of course, rooting and using the tegra tweak, and a hard reset (after returning to stock and locked)..

Is there something Im missing? Will replacing the display help or is it deeper than that? Its a decent tablet with maybe 4 hours use, would hate to have to toss it...

4. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Waterfoot, Lancashire
    It's worth popping the back off and checking the security of the connectors; the N7 is a bit prone to having loose connectors to battery and screen that work fine for a while then suddenly start playing up for no obvious reason.

Lots of charging and screen "faults" on the original N7 turn out to be just loose connectors.

5. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    Patrol / SWAT
    Carrsville Va
    OK.. I will check.. Thanks.. Had the back off when it first started the issue but wasn't totally sure what I was looking at...