1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Screen wont turn on!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aloha.android, Feb 22, 2011.

1. aloha.android

aloha.android Well-Known Member

Hello buddies.
    I had a normal morning today except for the fact that my phone screen stopped working.

I'm assuming that the touch still works because even though the screen was black i tried to unlock my phone and it still vibrated.

I don't know what to do. My phone just gets real hot and I miss my phone. Its only been 3 hours but I need it.

So... question.
    I understand that my phone is still under the years warranty and I can send it in. But doesn't my phone have to be unrooted?? How can they prove the phone is rooted if it cant turn on?

If this is the case and it must be cleaned out, what are the lines to input in adb to fix everything?

I hope to get a reply soon guys so I can get a new one ASAP. I'm going on vacation soon and would love to have my phones camera.

Thabks for everyones help

Advertisement

2. Raptor912

Raptor912 Android Enthusiast

Have you tried pulling the battery yet to see if that helps?

3. aloha.android

Yes i have. Plebty of times. And even without powering it on it gets hot as hell. I tried to boot up clockwork and both to no avail. thanks for quick reply dude

4. Steven58

Steven58 "The Incompetent Moderator!"

Welp,

I can tell you this. If your screen isn't working. Go through the steps to sbf to stock. You'll have to do it blindly. Then return your phone.

From the phone being off:

Hold down volume down, and camera buttons, then press power on. That should put you in bootloader mode. Then do an sbf. Your pc will tell you when you're done sbf'ing. Just make sure you have enough battery life and that you DON'T UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOUR PC SAYS IT FULLY REBOOTED. :)

5. aloha.android

What do you think might happen if 8 do a blind sbf? I think it might be a little tough because don't i have to delete cache and data?? I really. hope the screen revives afterwards. If not tgen what do you guys suggest??

6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

honestly your going to have to take the phone back
    and your going to have to do it blindly :(

7. aloha.android

Ok since ill have to do it blindly would someone please provide a clear picture of the clockwork boot so i know how many times to scroll down to delete cache and data??

And since im on liberty 1.5 that's 2.3.340 sbf right??

How long does exchange process take?plus I have no i-urance and theres no proof of it being wet. What do i tell the rep?

Thanks guys

8. VoidedSaint

there was a youtube video but it appears to have been removed :(

9. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Android Expert

Sbf isn't done in the clockwork boot screen. You have to plug it into the computer and use command lines. I know its risky, but if I were in your case, I would just take my phone to verizon and tell them my screen won't turn on. They'll try to plug it into a couple chargers them boot into the bootloader screen. If the screen is still not turning on then they'll make the warranty claim and send you a new phone. I've done it 3 times now. Once I had a corrupt file from sbf'ing with a low battery. And the other times my phone booted into clockwork but they didn't notice. If you get caught tho, your on the hook for full retail. So its definitely a risky move.

10. jlewis74

jlewis74 Well-Known Member

Do you have insurance on the phone? If so OPPPPSSS I dropped it just right to shatter the screen! It will cost you the deductable but if you are scared they will figure out the phone is rooted it might be your only option! Or just Fry the phone good enough it will not come back on using the battery terminals.

I have never done any of the things above just the only other solutions I could think of, even if they are not on the up and up.

11. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert

As Steven said hold down the power, volume and camera button to turn on the phone and that should get you to bootloader. Start your SBF and watch your computer it will tell you when you are finished. From there if you still can't see the screen what the hell neither can Verizon so send it in.

12. Steven58

Bro, If you're insecure, I'll be home from work about 10 pm eastern time. You can call me and I'll physicially talk you through it. Pm me and I'll give you my number.

Wally World and colchiro like this.
  13. hunterwrot

hunterwrot Well-Known Member

Thats awesome that you are willing to walk him through it. This forum is amazing.

14. Steven58

It really is amazing.

15. aloha.android

Thanks for everyones help. I hope to talk it out with Steven (I sent you a pm) and get a new phone by friday.

16. VoidedSaint

the only downside to doing sbf without a screen, you never know when its done formatting cache or formatting data :(

17. VoidedSaint

i would think you can rig something up with your usb port that would allow you to view the screen on a computer, there should be an app for that!

18. aloha.android

Yah voided saibt. i was thinking of doing that through adb. im sure it possible. hopefull/y its all good to work with later.

i really miss my phone. everythong else is just too slow.

19. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast

You don't really need the phone screen to SBF it. It is all done with the computer. It even says when it is rebooting. If you are worried about how long it might take, just let it sit there for a while. It's not like you are going to use the phone anyway. ;)

20. aloha.android

Thanks Sicily. It isn't the sbf part that bothers me. But the fact that I don't know or can't see if its on the boot loader mode. And having to clean cache and data will be hard cus I can't see lulz.

So after I Sibayan. . Just bring it to the store and they can replace it on spot?? How does that work??

21. Steven58

I sent you my cellphone number. Call me tonight and I'll talk you right through it. Don't worry.

22. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

23. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

Any updates?

24. Steven58

He called and left me a message that he needs to charge his phone. I missed his call. Oh well.

aloha.android likes this.
  25. ABRMess006

ABRMess006 Well-Known Member

Curious to see how this turns out... waiting on updates :D good luck when you get to actually fixing the X!