• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Worry

sayeed91

Apr 19, 2011
Hello people, im just a little bit concerned before i take the plunge and buy this phone. The screen resolution is what worries me. I currently have an ipad and the resolution seems fine. does anyone know if the resolution does justice to text? are the pixels noticable. This is the one thing which is holding me back from getting this phone. Or should i wait for a QHd s3 version? Too mAny questions:mad:

Hello people, im just a little bit concerned before i take the plunge and buy this phone. The screen resolution is what worries me. I currently have an ipad and the resolution seems fine. does anyone know if the resolution does justice to text? are the pixels noticable. This is the one thing which is holding me back from getting this phone. Or should i wait for a QHd s3 version? Too mAny questions:mad:

The screen is nothing short of phenomenal. Sometimes i just sit there and stare at how bright and beautiful it is!!!!! Don't worry about the resolution

Upvote 0

Based on your posts, I'd say you worry too much :D

The iPad is 1024x768 @ 9.7", resulting in ~132PPI

The SGS II is 800x480 @ 4.3" resulting in ~217PPI

(Higher being better)

Hope that helps you feel a little better :)

Reactions: sayeed91
Upvote 0
thanks dt, this was my biggest worry.

No problem! This is actually a handy calculator for display PPI:

Display Dimensions Calculator

Also when I had my Atrix (qHD, though Pentile), the fonts/icons/etc., were a little off, I believe because of the different aspect ratio. I'd say right now, the "standard" Android resolution (800x480) is a better overall experience.

Upvote 0
DUDE. (haven't got the phone but, trust me, I've watched enough vids and seen enough pics) :p

The screen is......superb, to say the very least. The SUPER AMOLED PLUS, is SO vibrant and really does make things appear as if they are more real than any mere "LCD" or even "S-LCD".

And the "plus" bit of SUPER AMOLED PLUS basically has been made more efficient and has a 50% increase in sub-pixels, which basically results in the phone looking like it has more pixels. (At least I think so)

If you got to any competent website, that compares the 800x480 Super AMOLED Plus with qHD, they'd say the Super AMOLED Plus is better.

Also just a personal opinion, with qHD, apps are going to be streched and look very ugly. (OF COURSE, they will be updated, but how long will it take? I'm still getting updates on my iPod Touch saying..."now retina ready"

I just wouldn't like to see that beauty of 4.3", but then some pixelated stretched apps....ewwww.

If you STILL need proof, go to the link on youtube and watch in 720p, full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/samjpullen#p/u/29/hEtN95LAn18

And you'll see the screen, cannot do any more justice that it already does. :)

Upvote 0
From engadget review:
The story of the Galaxy S II's battery life cannot be told without returning to its luscious screen. Being an OLED panel, the 4.3-inch display here doesn't use one single backlight as LCD screens do, and instead only illuminates the pixels that are needed to actively display content. This is the reason why it can generate truer blacks than any backlit panel, but it also permits the user to optimize battery life by doing such things as switching to a darker wallpaper or reading ebooks against a black background.

Upvote 0
IMO the higher the rez, the quicker the drain....thats where the sensation will fail with a SMALLER battery to run more pixels.

Totally different chipset though - so you aren't comparing like for like. I think the Sensation will be fine (not great, but fine).

Higher res will probably equate to yet more compatibility headaches with apps (unless you're ok with black borders).

Oh, and by the way - the iPad's screen is pretty good, but not in the same league as the Galaxy S2's. Are you assuming that your iPad has the same pixel density as the iPhone 4? Sadly not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones