• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card as internal storage issues

I have a Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen device (Android 6.0 [Marshmallow], 1gb RAM, 8gb ROM). The phone supports up to a 32gb SD card. Here are my issues, questions, thoughts.

When the SD card is formatted as internal storage the phones ROM gets reported as 4.53gb, when the SD card is formatted as external the phones ROM is reported as 8gb. Is this because the phone subtracts the OS from the ROM when the card is formatted as internal? Is it because the OS needs that space to 'index' the card?

Keeping in mind this phone only supports up to a 32gb card... I tested a 64gb card [Kingston 64, rated Class 10 U1] in the phone. As external memory every thing was fine, as internal memory not so much. The card formatted as internal fine, no speed issue warnings. I was able to download and install apps fine. But when I tried to use the camera I got the message "internal storage low...." message. There was lots of space. Looking in settings/storage, both the ROM, and SD card would only show space used by Apps and Cached data, not photos or any other heading. (Using a 32gb card as internal storage the other headings showed up, even if the space used under those heading was 0.00kb) Is this because the card is too big for the phone to properly use? Did the card get a bad format?

Does android use a free space to total space ratio to determine "low space", (like Windows does with hard drive space)?

Also I tested a 128gb SD (class 10, U1) as external storage in this phone, no issues. As internal it would 'time out' in formatting. Has Motorola (or Android) set the time out to a set amount regardless of the card size?

Also tried downloading some 'offline' GPS apps. With the 64 GB card formatted as internal the apps complained about 'no SD card', is this a common issue with formatting SD cards as internal?

Lastly, I used a 32gig class 10, U3 card formatted as internal memory. Android reported the card as 'slow'.... I suspect the card might be counterfeit, are there ways (software) to test? Not that it matters much now. lol.

The long and short of all of this is that I want to have lots of space to install lots of apps, still use all the other features of my device, and not run out of space. From what I've read if I don't place to remove the card from the device internal is the best option. 32gigs is enough for me but I had the 64gig card just kicking around.

TIA, Joe

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones