• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card issues after 6.0.1 update

So the wife and I both bought a new Note 4 from T-mobile about 10 months ago. We also bought 2 brand new Samsung 32GB evo cards a few months later. Everything worked perfect for months. Then when the 6.0.1 update came out we both decided to upgrade. When both phones were finished updating we noticed it notified us that our SD cards were unsupported. Which we both thought was odd seeing they were almost new cards from Samsung. Whenever we try and format the cards to try and fix this issue it will start out at 20% formatted and stay there..around 30 seconds later it will say: Command '8 volume partition disk: 179,64 public' failed with 'null' This is happening on both of our phones. So are you telling me that the marshmallow update toasted our cards? If I try and put this card into my computer it shows it being corrupt on both cards.

Is there a fix for this?

Makes sense. The OEM has no way of knowing if you have apps on your MicroSD card.

Never minds app data, in-place (OTA) updates should NEVER affect user-space period... that's sacrosanct. I know stuff happens, but it shouldn't - firmware updates affect internal storage only so external storage volumes should NOT be affected. :(

If I try and put this card into my computer it shows it being corrupt on both cards. Is there a fix for this?

Install SD Formatter then insert the card into the computer drive and try using one of the "Full Format" options.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this'll help, but I just got a brand new Moto G4 with 32gigs of internal memory and transferred my 32gigs SD card from my old device to my new device. Proceeded to try and move the apps from the internal memory to the SD card as I like as much free internal memory as possible for ease of use. Well nothing would even give me the ability to move an app and I looked into it finding that with Marshmallow, Android now is getting into "adoptable memory." You'll need to look up the term yourself but in summary, the new OS hold the internal and external (SD card) memory separate and never the two shall meet for security purposes with the extent of such things as music and pictures.

If you allow adoptable memory then your device will basically format the SD card so that it only will work with that particular phone and no other. Then you should be able to move things around as it basically becomes one big block of memory. But I don't know if you could later take it to a new Android device you'd have purchased in the future or if you'd have to format it again loosing all your information? Or if a PC would be able to read the card so you could move stuff off of it before doing so?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones