1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SD Card Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Yonnor, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Ok I have a SanDisk 32GB MicroSD Card. Unfortunately it's not playing nice with my newly rooted OG Droid. I'm running Project Elite v4.2.

I have a 16GB Card with the same exact files on it, and it runs just fine. I've formatted and reformatted the 32GB and still no luck. It just gets stuck in a Reboot Loop. I've cleared Cache, and everything.

Anyone have similar issues or experiences? Thank you for your time.

Advertisement

2. HKM

None

For some odd reasons many 32GB mSD has issue with Droid as it seems, this maybe due to the frameware but IDK. Even when its following SD2.0 and device does support 32GB card alot of folks are having issues as it seems, its not just you on droid.

Yonnor likes this.
  3. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Is there any fixes, or has anyone looked into why they won't play nicely together? lol I had no issues before I was rooted.

4. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    When you say not playing nice, are you only referring to boot loops? Or does it eventually boot properly and give other issues?

I have a 32GB card as well, and I've read that it's best to format using the Droid. Did you do this? If not, you may want to try doing so, then try to boot your phone as-is, before loading stuff onto the card, to eliminate some potential error-causing factors.

The only real issue I have with the 32GB card, is the fact that it takes longer to load when booting (possibly due to the size, but I've only seen a few other claims to validate this), and so any apps or features which take advantage of the information on the card during boot, simply won't be 'ready'. For this reason, you'll want to move anything that's required on boot, back to your phones internal memory.

Yonnor likes this.
  5. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    I just goes to a Boot Loop, never gets to properly load. I've formatted it with the Droid, and when I try to reboot, it'll still boot loop.

When I transfer the files/data from my 16GB card via USD Storage, the card will attempt to mount, and it then says SD Error.

6. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Given you've already formatted the card through the Droid, with all else being the same, it sounds like a hardware (card) issue, unfortunately.

I don't have too many suggestions if this is the case, but if a fresh install on an empty 32GB card won't boot/write files to the card if/once booted, even with a different ROM and kernel, you may need to verify that the card isn't defective.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but in a brief search, there are a few other cases like yours.

Yonnor likes this.
  7. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    It's all good, I've been seeing more stuff around and figured that might be the case. I did buy it off eBay for like $12, so it's really not surprising. Lol thank you for your input though. :D

8. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    It could be the card is defective, but one other thing to try is multiple re-formats of your card with the droid without restarting in between each re-format. One post said it took three times reformatting before it "took".

Though for $12 it maybe the card (sorry).:(

Yonnor likes this.
  9. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Well I got a good amount of use out of it before it decided to disagree with my Droid. lol Maybe it's time to invest some money in a good class 4 card from Best Buy, and worst comes to worst and it doesn't work I can return it.:D

I will post results here once I do.

Thank you everyone for you help/input

10. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL
    Don't buy an SD card from best buy. Get it from newegg or amazon or tigerdirect or anywhere online...

11. romshark

romshark Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA
    $12 for a 32GB microSD? Sounds kinda fishy. Sure it isn't a counterfeit?
    Got my 32GB card from Amazon.com and it hasn't given me a single problem ever (bought it months ago. Price has dropped quite a bit since then, but not near $12).

Yonnor likes this.
  12. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    I got it off eBay, so I'm really not surprised. It was shipped from China. lol

13. HKM

None

If its to good to be true keep in mind it isn't. Top of that from China, hence with all the Chinese fakes out there. When you deal with data only buy it from reputable dealers and the card from reputable vendor. When it comes to data integrity I take it very serious as I can't just lose it cuz some of us have very important things. I am sure if you ran H2TestW you will find alot of corruption as the card maybe just some 2gb SD hexed to read it as 32gb. If you don't like the current 32GB legit card's price look in to 16gb higher end speed class they sell for close to $29-40 in newegg.

Yonnor likes this.
  14. Yonnor

Yonnor Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Grocery Clerk
    Maryland
    Yeah I've actually been looking into getting a 32GB Card off Newegg anyway. lol It's not like I'm spending money on something I won't be using.:)