• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card maximum specifications?

Septfox

Lurker
Sep 21, 2013
Hi guys. I've been considering picking up a used Ally, to replace the (good, but old and very locked-down) 290c that Straight Talk gave me.

Currently, I'm having trouble deciding which microSD card to get for it. I know that the phone is severely lacking in onboard memory, so at least 8gb is preferable (and 16gb better due to cost efficiency), but I can't seem to find any info on the maximum transfer rate that the Ally can handle to external memory (only a post suggesting that class 10 causes random ejections), nor if the phone does indeed support 32gb of memory or not.

So, my questions are such: just how fast can the Ally transfer data for its own use (rather, would buying class 6 or 10 memory over 4 actually do anything), and has anyone successfully tested a 32gb card in one?

A class 4 16 gigabyte card is probably about the best you can go, without wasting your money or gigabyte. The ally is an easy phone to root, and there is at least one rom that's good. Pm Me if you want the files for those, because they can be very very hard to find these days. The stock rom is a waste of space, and not very well optimized.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for posting.

I actually ended up accidentally (it's listed as a class 6...) buying a 16gb c10/UHS1 Sandisk Ultra card for $15ish. It's not really working at full spec, probably because of the phone's limitations, but it's definitely better than the stock c4 card.

Can't swap them out to run a fresh compare at the moment because I have an app partition going, but if you're curious here's a quick benchmark of the 16gb card courtesy of Crystalmark:
sd1.jpg

It seems to fluctuate a fair bit, though, particularly in read speeds. Following a reboot:
sd2.jpg

Anyway, I do have my phone fully set up, rooted and loaded with Velocity 1.2.2 b18. Kind of considering switching over to Cyanogen and seeing if it has swapping enabled, since Velocity doesn't and...the phone could really use a swap partition.

Upvote 0
Currently running Clockwork Recovery.

I realize it's not the ideal recovery, but the phone shipped with 2.2.2; Clockwork both gave me a recovery to install Velocity from and the ability to make a backup beforehand. And having received two defective phones before this, I was...a little impatient to get started.

Probably should replace it with a better one, I guess...I've just been too busy messing around and learning the in and outs of the phone and what it can do, lately. Well, and trying to figure out how to make the cellular radio quit eating my battery.

Edit: flashed Amonra, made a backup and dropped CM 7.2 in. It runs quite well, but the version currently up doesn't have wifi, camera flash and as I found out the hard way, mobile data. Back to Velocity until he figures out how to get it all working stably, I guess :\

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones