• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card *mount/access* switching

When I plug my phone in to a computer, I have the "Charge only - Charge phone over USB" and "Disk drive - mount as disk drive" options. I am extremely interested in finding out how my EVO switches access to my SD card from the phone itself to my USB connected computer and back. More so, I wonder if there's a way I can make an SD card in a laptop function similarly, using either a Windows or Linux OS [Windows is preferable but it seems like Andriod is Linux-based]. I just want to be able to take my second HDD/SD card/flash drive, mount it to a USB port, connect my computer to another via USB cable and be able to access the files on the second connected computer.

I don't know if this is beyond useful knowledge but I would be extremely grateful for any help at all as this would help me with a project I am very eager to begin. I'd also be glad to give a shout out/credit anyone that can help me on my new website.

Thank you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones