1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General SD card space

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chad97z, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chad97z

chad97z Lurker
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    I got a Rezound 2 months ago and I had to swap it out today with Verizon because the phone had a major issue. Still don't know what was wrong with it. It was making a weird noise when I clicked on the notification. The notification was the time needed to be reset. And also, power was draining bad and it just kept rebooting. And I did not damage it, or drop it or do anything. It was unscratched. Verizon rep said this was the first they had seen like it.

ANYWAY!, on the new phone and my old Rezound, my SD card only shows 10Gig! It says 16 gig on it.. Not sure why the loss of 6 gigs!

Also, the internal card says 2.2Gig. I thought both the internal and the SD card was 16 gig's each.

From Verizon's webpage:
    Memory / Processor

• Memory: (FLASH/RAM): 16GB eMMC/1GB DDR2, 16GB micro SD

So basically, I saw a setting on my phone that said to warn if it falls below 10Gig.. well, I dont see more than 10 gig anywhere! Gee, am I going to get a constant warning? or none at all.?

Advertisement

2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    Can you post a screen shot of the "SD card & Storage" setting menu?

The 10 gigs is for the internal memory and that is right. You only get 10 gigs for your use, the rest is used by the phone.

SD card should have 13 - 14 gigs free.

3. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    Just a quick reminder for the OP. Don't forget that for some reason the ReZound calls the internal memory "SD Card" and the external card memory "SD Card2 or ext_SD" Don't know why they do that but it can get a bit confusing if you forget about that.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  4. zazan

zazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    As a little more info in addition to what Blackthanos gave you.

If I connect the phone to my computer I get the following memory (drive) info:

CD Drive (G) CDROM - This is the part of the 16G of the internal memory that is reserved for the operating system etc ~ 5 Gig

HTC Storage (H) - This is the available internal memory that you can use that is not being used by the phone itself. ~10 Gig

Removable Disk (I) - This is your SD Card ~ 15 Gig after formatting. This is the "SD Card2 or ext_SD" that Blackthanos is talking about.

Of course the drives letters will be different on your computer depending what else you have on it. Hope this helps.

5. chknhwk

chknhwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

So what you're saying is when I changed my download directory in Xscope to SDCard and when I first plugged my sdcard into my new ReZound and moved everything up a folder (everything on my sdcard was moved into another folder instead of being at the root of the card when I first plugged it into my ReZound) I screwed everything up?? So now I have to move everything from my phone storage back to my sd card without screwing with any system files?? Great...

6. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    To add onto my post when I open ES File Explorer this is the default folder which leads me to believe it *should* be the root of my sd card, but what I'm seeing does not agree with this, namely the only 10 gigs of total storage. :-/

7. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Anybody? This phone is confusing!

8. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok, almost 900 views and not a lot of help so I'm going to put this right out there:
    Does anybody have a list of what the stock folders are in the ReZound internal memory from the factory? Or a screen shot? I need to move everything back over to the SD Card, for realz. Thanks.

9. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Where it's hot
    I can't help you with that but i can give you a course of action. I would back-up everything and reformat the sd card and do a factory reset on the phone. That should give you a clean slate to work with. Place all your files from the sd card onto your pc desktop and move back once you figure out what happened.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  10. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    I've thought about that - nandroid backups? Where are they saved?
    What's interesting is I just did a test by unmounting my sd card and plugging into my computer. My phone is labeled 'ReZound' (by me) and my sd card is labeled JOHNS_SDC2. With the card unmounted only ReZound shows up, if I disconnect and remount the sd card both drive show up. This tells me they are labelled correctly.
    I use pwdlist to keep track of all my passwords and when you export your passwords it creates a spreadsheet at the root of your sd card. My list is located on my phone, not my sd card (assuming my trick with unmounting the sd card works). So what this means is that any app you use to back up information automatically will not save to the sd card, is this true??

11. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Where it's hot
    I would just pull the sd card from the phone and transfer all data files that way, then remount and format the sd card and factory reset the phone.

12. ludist210

ludist210 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    Grad School Student
    Birmingham, Alabama
    From what I gather:

SD Card: 13-14 GB free at initial boot
    Internal Storage (for apps): 2 GB free at initial boot
    Phone Storage (music and photos): 10ish GB free at initial boot

I'm not a fan of the partitions, and if I could combine Internal/Phone Storage (like my old DX did), I'd root and do it in a heartbeat.

13. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    I've done factory resets but the files on the phone do not appear to go anywhere. Case in point I just loaded Nils' Business ICS and did a factory reset before flashing the ROM, I lost no files from the phone internal storage.

14. papadelogan

papadelogan Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Systems Engineer
    Colorado!!
    I went from a Thunderbolt with only an 8GB microSD and swapped it directly in to the Rezound. Rezound looks to have copied the majority of files to the local storage and tons of extra files on the microSD.

Solution?

Backup data, reformat (with root! :) ) and installed a clean, new, never-used 32GB microSD. Then restored data and configured apps to use the micro instead of internal. Last step was to plug it in to the computer using it as a disk, and copy the data from the default phone storage over to the newly configured locations on the micro. Takes time, but now it's clean, setup exactly how I want it, and I have tons of free space.

Tags: