• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card types that work?

Sammy

Aug 28, 2009
I am currently using the 2 Gb SD card that came with the handset, which I bought from the UK.
I am on holiday in Japan and found a 16GB SD card for under 25 pounds. I took it to the counter, but the guy said that it was a `high speed` card and that he wasn`t sure if it would be usable in foreign products.
So if the card fits in the phone, does the `high speed` aspect of the card possibly render it useles? I wanted to try it first but he wouldn`t let me.
I want to know because we all know how much these cards are in the UK, around 40 pounds i think? So I would be looking to get one for me and my friend who has a hero.

Thanks

Your phone is capable of using SDHC (SD High Capacity) cards. The best I've found currently available for purchase online is the one made my Transcend, which is 16 GB Class 6, for $70 USD.

Check if the one you found in Japan is SDHC Class 6, and if it is, go for it. If it's class 2 or class 4, I would advise not getting it in favor of Class 6 which are faster, and you want that when accessing cards above 4 GB of data.

Upvote 0
Your phone is capable of using SDHC (SD High Capacity) cards. The best I've found currently available for purchase online is the one made my Transcend, which is 16 GB Class 6, for $70 USD.

Check if the one you found in Japan is SDHC Class 6, and if it is, go for it. If it's class 2 or class 4, I would advise not getting it in favor of Class 6 which are faster, and you want that when accessing cards above 4 GB of data.

Ok thanks a lot, it is class 6, but I might get the 8 GB since it`s unlikely that I`ll use 16gb.

Upvote 0
Previously, I thought that the card, which is SDHC 8gb, since I took a photo and it said that it had saved to memory card.
However, I am now back home and when I plugged the phone in (with the new memory card in it) and tried to move all the data from my old card to the new one, it says on the phone, 'SD card unreadable'.
I tried formatting it, but it doesn't actually do anything when I press that option on the phone.
When I use the adaptor to plug it into my pc, it won't come up for me to view files either.
Help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones