• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card Usage... how and so on.....

95zx9r

Aug 16, 2012
So I just came out of the dark ages and threw away my torch in exchange for the s3. Where have i been?!

I have a 32GB Sandisk SD card, When i pop it in, phone says 31.24GB total 31.24GB available. I formatted it in the phone, put it in my card reader and transferred 30GB of music to it directly from my computer.

When its in my computer, i dont see the folders created by the phone, music, pictures, etc.... just a LOST.DIR folder.

When i transferred all that music my computer sent it, was showing the drive as only having 2 GB free, and when its back in my phone it shows as having 24GB free and only shows me a portion of the folders of music i sent over.

Could use a little help here. If anyone can clarify the best process for doing what im doing or give me a little help that would be great.

Thanks

A 32 GB card is not 32 GB. Hardware manufacturers use 1 byte x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 1GB.

Actually its x 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

Take 32 and divide by 1024 3 times then multiply by 1000 3 times and that's what you have (slightly less due to the format) so 30GB of music is too much.... so what happens is anything over the limit will overwrite stuff on the card, corrupting it.

Corrupt files and files with no file system links end up in LOST.dir.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
A 32 GB card is not 32 GB. Hardware manufacturers use 1 byte x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 1GB.

Actually its x 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

Take 32 and divide by 1024 3 times then multiply by 1000 3 times and that's what you have (slightly less due to the format) so 30GB of music is too much.... so what happens is anything over the limit will overwrite stuff on the card, corrupting it.

Corrupt files and files with no file system links end up in LOST.dir.

Hope this helps

thanks, but that doesnt make a whole lot of sense.. i had a 16gb card that i could fill up completely with music, to the last MB... and everything was fine... but now (after further investigation) it seems that even though i have reformatted the card in my phone, sent 4gb of music to it, songs that play no problem from my computer, wont play from the card, even if i transfer them back.. corrupted maybe...

maybe the sd card is junk?

Upvote 0
When i transferred all that music my computer sent it, was showing the drive as only having 2 GB free, and when its back in my phone it shows as having 24GB free and only shows me a portion of the folders of music i sent over.
The 24GB free tells me you are looking at the internal SD card.

Storage capacities are advertised for their unformatted capacity (in addition to using base10 numbers rather than base2). The formatted capacity will vary by file system.

I would reformat the SD card from the phone, then power off, remove it, put it in the PC, copy music to it, safely remove it, install it in the phone, then power on and test it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones