1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SD Card Usage... how and so on.....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 95zx9r, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 95zx9r

95zx9r Newbie

So I just came out of the dark ages and threw away my torch in exchange for the s3. Where have i been?!

I have a 32GB Sandisk SD card, When i pop it in, phone says 31.24GB total 31.24GB available. I formatted it in the phone, put it in my card reader and transferred 30GB of music to it directly from my computer.

When its in my computer, i dont see the folders created by the phone, music, pictures, etc.... just a LOST.DIR folder.

When i transferred all that music my computer sent it, was showing the drive as only having 2 GB free, and when its back in my phone it shows as having 24GB free and only shows me a portion of the folders of music i sent over.

Could use a little help here. If anyone can clarify the best process for doing what im doing or give me a little help that would be great.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

A 32 GB card is not 32 GB. Hardware manufacturers use 1 byte x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 = 1GB.

Actually its x 1024 x 1024 x 1024.

Take 32 and divide by 1024 3 times then multiply by 1000 3 times and that's what you have (slightly less due to the format) so 30GB of music is too much.... so what happens is anything over the limit will overwrite stuff on the card, corrupting it.

Corrupt files and files with no file system links end up in LOST.dir.

Hope this helps

3. sideout

sideout Member

What's the best way to start off with a new SD card? Format it in your PC first or just put it in the phone? My son will be using it for music.

4. SUroot

Id format it in the phone myself

5. sideout

sideout Member

I will let my son do that before he heads off to college.....I just don't want to do anything to screw it up...lol

6. SUroot

It should be fine. Just move music in bite-sized-chunks of a GB or two.

Probably wouldn't go above 25GB of music.

May be worth downloading h2testw.exe for windows to check the formatted card for errors

7. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

My 32GB Lexar card actually has 29.81GB of useable space once it's formated for use in the phone.

8. 95zx9r

95zx9r Newbie

thanks, but that doesnt make a whole lot of sense.. i had a 16gb card that i could fill up completely with music, to the last MB... and everything was fine... but now (after further investigation) it seems that even though i have reformatted the card in my phone, sent 4gb of music to it, songs that play no problem from my computer, wont play from the card, even if i transfer them back.. corrupted maybe...

maybe the sd card is junk?

9. SUroot

14.9 I think for 16GB...

10. RickyDavis1051

RickyDavis1051 Well-Known Member

I have a 64gb Sandisk and i guess it automatically formated itself to 59.45gb in my phone?

11. dfran1

dfran1 Android Enthusiast

Thats funny cause I have a sandisk ultra class 6 64gig and my phone shows 59.47 total space after the phone formatted it.

milage may vary from brand to brand (milage meaning free space left after format) even tho .02gb is nothing.

12. mark r

mark r Lurker

I bought a new Galaxy s3 and inserted a new 32 gb sdhc class 10 card from micro center but the phone will not recognize it and neither will my laptop but my old htc incredible will. Tried it many times and always the same story. htc yes, s3 and pc no. what would cause this?

13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

The 24GB free tells me you are looking at the internal SD card.

Storage capacities are advertised for their unformatted capacity (in addition to using base10 numbers rather than base2). The formatted capacity will vary by file system.

I would reformat the SD card from the phone, then power off, remove it, put it in the PC, copy music to it, safely remove it, install it in the phone, then power on and test it.

14. SUroot

The maths states it should be 59.6 physically.

But yes, it stands to reason a little bit will be lost to the file system during format

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews