• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
There's really no way for the S4 GPE to be able to natively access the SD card? i.e. send photos/videos straight to an sd card??

Sure there is.

Google services don't operate with the SD card as we're used to because Google is going away from this model. However, they will still interact with the SD card just fine in a read-only capacity. The stock gallery app reads photos just fine, and Google Play music is running my FLAC collection and play list off the SD card perfectly.

If you want to move files between internal storage and SD, get yourself a file manager app. My personal favorite is ES File Explorer, but there are others.

For more advanced users, you can root and set up symlinks, which is where you link one part of internal storage to the SD card. This causes apps (like Google's) that only save to internal storage, to be tricked into thinking that they are saving to internal storage when they are actually saving to the SD card where you specified.

Upvote 0
Sure there is.

Google services don't operate with the SD card as we're used to because Google is going away from this model. However, they will still interact with the SD card just fine in a read-only capacity. The stock gallery app reads photos just fine, and Google Play music is running my FLAC collection and play list off the SD card perfectly.

If you want to move files between internal storage and SD, get yourself a file manager app. My personal favorite is ES File Explorer, but there are others.

For more advanced users, you can root and set up symlinks, which is where you link one part of internal storage to the SD card. This causes apps (like Google's) that only save to internal storage, to be tricked into thinking that they are saving to internal storage when they are actually saving to the SD card where you specified.

How about as far as moving apps to sd card? That doesn't require rooting or some other work around..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones