1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General SDK install problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by n0ct3m, Jul 16, 2010.

1. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    I'm trying to install SDK so I can root my phone, but I've run into a problem. I'm trying to update my drivers, but when I choose my usb driver folder, it says it cannot find the drivers to be installed. What is it I'm missing? I have the SDK folder on my computer. Does it need to be installed onto my phone's sdcard?

Advertisement

2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
  3. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    windows 7. and to add to my trouble, now when I connect my phone to my pc, I don't even see my phone listed under my device manager...

4. Papadroid

Papadroid Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Go and get the HTC sync from HTC's website. That will provide the drivers that you need. I had the same problem a while back and as far as I know with Win7 that is the only way to get it working.

5. Jadeziaa

Jadeziaa New Member

May 23, 2010
  6. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    They recommend using HTC Sync. Sadly my HTC Sync will not work. It will not recognize a connection between my phone and pc. Either that or when I try to launch Sync, it says a file is missing and will not launch. This is really starting to drive me nuts. Perhaps rooting just isn't in my future.

7. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    You don't really need to launch HTC Sync to get the proper USB drivers. Just installing it should install the USB drivers that your PC needs.

Try returning to your Android SDK tools directory from the Windows Command Prompt and testing connectivity with your phone via "adb devices" and see if it returns anything (don't post the value here since it uniquely identifies you and your phone).

8. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    It shows no devices listed.

9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Okay, here's a couple other things you may or may not have tried (bare with me here, some of this is from memory since I'm not a home on my Windows 7 PC :D):

1. Make sure you've rebooted after installing HTC Sync
    2. Make sure you've got "USB Debugging" set and "Charge Only" set
    3. If you go to Device Manager, find the "Android ADB Device" (or something similar) and do an "Update Drivers"...browse to where HTC Sync is installed and find the usb_drivers folder and a subfolder called "Win7_x86".
    4. After updating the driver, try disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable and see if Windows and adb finally "sees" it.

Also, scan through this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-troubleshooting-guide-htc-droid-eris.html for a section labeled "USB CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS". Its got some pointers in there that might help you.

I can find the exact driver names after I get home, but that won't be for a while...:(

n0ct3m likes this.
  10. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mississippi
    Finally, I have a device listed. I was still trying to pull the usb driver from sdk instead of htc