• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SDK install problem

n0ct3m

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Mississippi
I'm trying to install SDK so I can root my phone, but I've run into a problem. I'm trying to update my drivers, but when I choose my usb driver folder, it says it cannot find the drivers to be installed. What is it I'm missing? I have the SDK folder on my computer. Does it need to be installed onto my phone's sdcard?

They recommend using HTC Sync. Sadly my HTC Sync will not work. It will not recognize a connection between my phone and pc. Either that or when I try to launch Sync, it says a file is missing and will not launch. This is really starting to drive me nuts. Perhaps rooting just isn't in my future.

You don't really need to launch HTC Sync to get the proper USB drivers. Just installing it should install the USB drivers that your PC needs.

Try returning to your Android SDK tools directory from the Windows Command Prompt and testing connectivity with your phone via "adb devices" and see if it returns anything (don't post the value here since it uniquely identifies you and your phone).

Upvote 0
It shows no devices listed.

Okay, here's a couple other things you may or may not have tried (bare with me here, some of this is from memory since I'm not a home on my Windows 7 PC :D):

1. Make sure you've rebooted after installing HTC Sync
2. Make sure you've got "USB Debugging" set and "Charge Only" set
3. If you go to Device Manager, find the "Android ADB Device" (or something similar) and do an "Update Drivers"...browse to where HTC Sync is installed and find the usb_drivers folder and a subfolder called "Win7_x86".
4. After updating the driver, try disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable and see if Windows and adb finally "sees" it.

Also, scan through this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-troubleshooting-guide-htc-droid-eris.html for a section labeled "USB CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS". Its got some pointers in there that might help you.

I can find the exact driver names after I get home, but that won't be for a while...:(

Reactions: n0ct3m
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones