• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Search button

Baz8755

Jul 13, 2010
South Coast UK
Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading to the One S from my trusty Desire.

One thing I have noticed is that their is no physical search button, I found this to be the most used button on my Desire as all I ever had to do was press it to search the web or find a contact etc.

Are there any tips/shortcuts on the One S (eg. press and hold home) that replicate the search button.

Cheers

Baz

My possible solution: I use Launcher Pro
Too many things in common! I guess it's something about Vancouver. :D

and have incorporated it in my dock. Tap the browser button and Chrome comes up; swipe the same button upwards instead and I get search. Takes up no real estate.
This would work, I guess. It's only in the launcher, but these days many applications, especially updated for ICS have a search button in the UI.

Though my concern is about an additional functionality given by that Search button. Specifically - it's possible to run another application on a long-press of that button. I use that to run Quick Settings - an app, which has all frequently needed settings on one screen: you can turn on or off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, change volume or screen brightness, automatic screen rotation, etc. This, I'm afraid, will be the most missing feature for me on a new device.

By the way, I know it is possible to remap the task-switcher button on the One X. Here's the instruction how to map Menu action there. I'd guess it must be possible to map Search to that button instead. You will have to root the phone and do some research of course, but that might be the way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones