• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Searching for GPS"

g_patrick15

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2009
Ever since I got my Nexus 4, there has been a consistent "searching for GPS" message in my notification shade. It's annoying, especially since I have generally kept GPS on with every Android phone I've had, and that message was never there unless I had just turned on GPS. It usually went away as soon as it took on the signal. Any way to get rid of this message without actually turning off GPS?

Two quick questions, are able to get a GPS lock at all? And what location-enabled apps are you using?

I experienced a similar situation as the OP. Basically, there was a persistent alert in the notification bar saying that I can't get a gps lock when I'm not actually even using the maps app. The maps app may have been running in the background though.

What happened is that I navigated somewhere (a great little bbq place) and when I got there I exited navigation, so the navigation wasn't actually trying to get me anywhere, but I'm sure the maps app was still running in the background. While enjoying rotisserie chicken, chili, cornbread and one of my homebrewed stouts (the place was byob), I guess I lost the gps signal and the notification came up that said searching for gps signal. Normally this is the type of notification I would only get if I were actually trying to navigate or use the maps application I guess. I fixed it by turning off the gps which I would've done anyway to conserve the battery.

I tried replicating this issue, but I'm able to get a gps lock inside my house down to about 1m. Man this is so much better than my old gnex. I feel sorry for the guy who bought it from me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones