• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

security breech or something else?

erikamit

Lurker
Aug 31, 2012
I'm sitting in class typing notes in Polaris office using my new Samsung galaxy tab and a Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard. The tablet is on silent mode , as always. It doesn't have phone capabilities (no service in our area). Suddenly, the tablet starts playing music, full blast, bringing the lecture to a standstill. I press the power button to sleep the tablet. No response, the noise continues. I open settings and turn off the sound there. I check my web browser. 4 tabs of bank pages are open for a bank I've never heard of. After class, I leave the room with the tablet on sleep and I hear a click. The tablet sound is on again, and the bank page is open. I installed Norton when I got the tablet month ago. And avast this afternoon. Scanning reports no issues. What's going on?

The reason is probably this: Android has 3 separate volume sliders in operation -- Ringer volume, Speaker Media volume, and Headset Media Volume. Silent mode only affects Ringer Volume. You'll have to manually activate an app (one that uses your speakers to play wave data, like your music player, Youtube app, or a video game console emulator if you have one), then use the volume rockers on the side to adjust the volume all the way down, with no headphones attached to it.

You'll notice the on-screen volume display reads "Media Volume" instead of "Ringer Volume" as you decrease the volume.

I hope this solves your problem! :D

Upvote 0
I have now uninstalled every app that ever showed an ad.
The apps that use push advertising often don't show up other ads, and don't announce that they are doing it.

Just to be sure, install Addons Detector, Airpush Detector or Lookout Ad Network Detector and check you've nothing that's using push notifications/advertising.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
I'm sitting in class typing notes in Polaris office using my new Samsung galaxy tab and a Microsoft wedge Bluetooth keyboard. The tablet is on silent mode , as always. It doesn't have phone capabilities (no service in our area). Suddenly, the tablet starts playing music, full blast, bringing the lecture to a standstill. I press the power button to sleep the tablet. No response, the noise continues. I open settings and turn off the sound there. I check my web browser. 4 tabs of bank pages are open for a bank I've never heard of. After class, I leave the room with the tablet on sleep and I hear a click. The tablet sound is on again, and the bank page is open. I installed Norton when I got the tablet month ago. And avast this afternoon. Scanning reports no issues. What's going on?

I'm somewhat confused here. You say the tablet doesn't have 'phone' service - I assume you mean data. Where you connected to any sort of campus WiFi at the time?

Just trying to understand how a device with no data connection can have 4 active Web pages open on an online bank.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones