• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 5.0 Lolipop announced - Update in coming weeks [Screenshots from new developer preview]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413567574583.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413567574583.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 92
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413567583316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413567583316.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
It if I were to install the developer version of 5.0 Lollipop, will I still receive the 5.0 Lollipop OTA update when it is rolled out?

No, you'll need to flash the OTA

Actually, I'm not sure that will work either. The OTA usually "updates" the latest release build, which would be 4.4.4 for the Nexus 5.
If you update to the preview version, you are no longer on 4.4.4 and the OTA, even if flashed, would most likely fail.

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm not sure that will work either. The OTA usually "updates" the latest release build, which would be 4.4.4 for the Nexus 5.
If you update to the preview version, you are no longer on 4.4.4 and the OTA, even if flashed, would most likely fail.
You are correct. I meant flash the factory image for the OTA - I need to use my words better :eek:

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
Saweet...Getting ready to download and install as soon as I have the chance. (Figures it would get released while I was at work and have no WiFi to download it with) I see it comes with very minimal Google apps pre-installed and that MMS is not working. (Not just on Sprint only but other carriers as well)
Anyone tried installing Hangouts on it yet and see if that works and/or resolves the MMS issue?

Upvote 0
Interesting point- the dev preview is not encrypted by default.

Maybe because its a preview, but could mean devices shipping with it will be on by default, but those getting the OTA will not.

From what I read, that is my understanding. It's default for new devices, but people that don't already have it set up will need to enable it to have it turned on.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Vomer is still working on his flashable zip and Multirom of LPX13D L Preview... Although it looks like dekefake has already got a flashable recovery version and Mutirom version all ready to go - Android Lollipop Stock Factory Image and mor… | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

Edit: I guess he (dekefake) took Vomers flashable zip and uploaded it into his own thread (Not Cool at All :thumbdown:) Vomer has pulled the flashable zip due to some bug (google play services) issues as of the current state an he will re-upload it when it's ready... Its still recommended as of now to Fastboot flash the LPX13D preview until further notice from Vomer.

Upvote 0
I'm actually waiting to see how this pans out. I know I can root with the modified boot image floating around XDA, but I'd like to see what Chainfire does. And for the incompatible apps its a matter if time.

Edit:
Ok, a modified kernel is what Chainfire did.
attachment.php
Quick SuperSU fix for Nexus5/7 on LPX13D

Edit:
I couldn't get it to flash with CWM recovery, and Chainfire recommends TWRP. So, if you are a CWM guy, just extract the boot.img from the zip file and flash it with fastboot.

Attachments

• tmp_28468-Screenshot_2014-10-18-23-29-241910617281.jpg
    tmp_28468-Screenshot_2014-10-18-23-29-241910617281.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
The most significant improvement so far seen for Lollipop is the battery. Everything else looks and feels great but I am in awe of the battery life improvement.

The actionable notifications and ease of operation through settings and quicksettings are amazing. Biggest example was I got a text earlier today and stopped short of pulling down from the top of the screen, realizing that the text was sitting there waiting for me on the lockscreen. Double-tap it and bam, I'm in hangouts.

Upvote 0
So I've seen 3 different SMS icons for Lollipop now. Can anyone confirm the real logo?

Screenshot shows the old Messaging icon (this app comes with the developer preview) and hangouts (had to download seperately). I have yet to find the Messaging icon that the promotional media shows on the homescreen in Lollipop, which I believe you are referring to in your question. That promotional version of the icon is what will probably come with the final release.

Attachments

• icon.jpg
    icon.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones