• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sending Back My Photon :'(

Absolutely yes, Motorola could prosecute. Sorry to burst people's bubbles around here but you can be charged with possession of stolen property, most likely a misdemeanor but could be brought up to a felony under the correct circumstances. Of course they would have to prove that you knew that the property was stolen, most likely, to succeed in prosecuting you.

In this case, would a reasonable person suspect that the phone could have been stolen since it hadn't been released and it was clearly labelled on the phone "not for sale?" A prosecutor could argue this.

Yes Motorola would have to spend more money than this would actually be worth to them in bad publicity and hassle. If they really wanted to get nasty about it, they could charge you with possession of stolen property, and the courts would determine whether or not they had a case, whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony, what if any time you would serve, and what your restitution fee would be, etc.

I work with young people who knowingly receive stolen property often and I'm compelled to educate them about this law. My young people would be especially vulnerable if charged. You may not be as vulnerable (depending on whether or not you have a criminal record, whether or not you can afford a good lawyer, age, standing in the community, and reputation, etc.) as the young people with whom I work.

Shawheim, you made the right decision to send it back.

That being said, Motorola could be more gracious about this. It's not like he was selling the software or hardware to Motorola's competitors. I guess they're assuming that this could have happened and are acting accordingly.

You are right, I did post pictures of the writing Motorola had stamped on it. But if you look at the for sale thread it isn't shown. So I didn't know what I was getting til I got it. The phone wasn't stolen. If it was it wouldn't have had a clear ESN and I wouldn't have been able to activate it. And there was no way I was gonna just let the phone sit and not share it with the world.

Upvote 0
You are right, I did post pictures of the writing Motorola had stamped on it. But if you look at the for sale thread it isn't shown. So I didn't know what I was getting til I got it. The phone wasn't stolen. If it was it wouldn't have had a clear ESN and I wouldn't have been able to activate it...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. Why is Motorola claiming they could prosecute you if the phone wasn't stolen? If it's not stolen, and you had no indication that this was a pre-release phone that had writing all over it that said that it wasn't for sale, then what crime do you think they think you committed?

This isn't making sense.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. Why is Motorola claiming they could prosecute you if the phone wasn't stolen? If it's not stolen, and you had no indication that this was a pre-release phone that had writing all over it that said that it wasn't for sale, then what crime do you think they think you committed?

This isn't making sense.

They said I was in possession of Motorola property. Which I was. Since it was a developer unit it was never meant to leave Motorolas hands. It got out some how and was sold twice before they caught on. So the guy said I had to send it back or I could be looking at jail time for espionage and some other stuff. So I complied.

Reactions: donniegood
Upvote 0
Yes Motorola would have to spend more money than this would actually be worth to them in bad publicity and hassle. If they really wanted to get nasty about it, they could charge you with possession of stolen property
Motorola doesn't make the determination of what the charge is. They can demand that he get charged with treason, custodial interference, animal cruelty, conspiracy to commit murder, etc....the local DA decides what the charge is.

Upvote 0
They said I was in possession of Motorola property. Which I was. Since it was a developer unit it was never meant to leave Motorolas hands. It got out some how and was sold twice before they caught on. So the guy said I had to send it back or I could be looking at jail time for espionage and some other stuff. So I complied.

Like I said before, law enforcement would have to show proof that you knew it was stolen upon you purchasing it. I don't blame you for sending it back, but I really don't think Motorola had any legal right to request it back without any compensation to you... You didn't steal if from them. Hopefully paypal can help you out on this.

Upvote 0
Like I said before, law enforcement would have to show proof that you knew it was stolen upon you purchasing it. I don't blame you for sending it back, but I really don't think Motorola had any legal right to request it back without any compensation to you... You didn't steal if from them. Hopefully paypal can help you out on this.

If someone steals your car and sells it to a third party, and it's later found, would you want it back? Or would you recognize the buyer's right to keep it since the buyer didn't, after all, steal it? Maybe you could "compensate" the buyer with a new car in order to get yours back?

Furthermore, imagine you're in the car manufacturing business, and the car in question is an unreleased prototype which hasn't hit the showrooms yet... You know nothing, really, about the buyer. You don't know whether he works for one of your competitors or where his allegiances may lie.

We can all be certain shawheim's intentions were good here, but I'm just pointing out the realities of the situation in our fast-paced, ultra-competitive high tech world :)

Upvote 0
First, let me say I appreciate the info Shawheim was able to give us. Although I was planning to get the MP4G all along, it reinforced my decision.

I don't mean to be the proverbial 'stick in the mud" here, but the thread title should read "Motorola's Photon", not "My Photon". Carriers mark pre-release test devices like this one for a reason, and those who posess them do so under strict NDA's. Our friendly informant could have just as easily been an agent of a competitor to Motorola, and we don't know if the software on that Photon was secure. Suppose a competitor de-constructed it? Industrial espionage is serious, serious business, and I'm not surprised the head of "security and loss prevention" got involved here. There's a lesson in this for all of us: don't sell or buy pre-release devices. The risks are too high.

Also, as cool as the concept of "rewarding Shawheim for the good PR" seems, Motorola can't set that precedent, at least not publicly. Rewarding people who illegally posess test devices for leaking favorable reviews not only threatens security, but encourages illegal behavior. It just doesn't make sense upon careful consideration.

Again, thanks Shawheim. Hope you get your money back and I'll be happy to see you standing tall after all this is said and done. As for the seller, if he's the one the device was originally issued to, I'd not be at all surprised if he were looking for a new job about now. If he isn't the one to whom the device was issued, Motorola will work backwards to find out how the device came to be sold.

Now that you do put it that way it does make sense. I went through a similar situation with Kawasaki as I used to race street bikes on the amateur circuit. A team mate of mine died in an accident due to a frame failure from a faulty weld that broke apart at 120 mph. We also are under ironclad agreements acknowledging risks of the sport and even though his death was directly caused by a fault on their end they would not help his family cover funeral expenses even though they were struggling and he just had a child. I spoke out to people about how I really felt about the situation and how I thought Kawasaki was being shitty about it. Word got back to them about what I said and as I stated before I used to race. I was immediately terminated from my contract for violating my NDA and basically run out of the business by them.

So as much as I hate them for what happened they are still alive and kicking and selling everything where as if they had helped him they could of become liable for thousands of lawsuits due to people dieing in accidents and whatnot, and Motorola is in a similar situation where they are putting their corporation at risk.

Upvote 0
You have no idea how close to home your story hits, as my Dad raced professionaly for over 30 years (including 21 Indy 500's). The assumption of risk in motorsports by those who willfully particapate is something that you can't really accept halfway. No manufacturer, venue, sanctioning body, etc. can guarantee safety for participants or spectators. We assume the risk, do our best, and pray for the best. Sometimes it works out and sometimes tragedies occur. I'm sorry to learn of the outcome of your story.

Now that you do put it that way it does make sense. I went through a similar situation with Kawasaki as I used to race street bikes on the amateur circuit. A team mate of mine died in an accident due to a frame failure from a faulty weld that broke apart at 120 mph. We also are under ironclad agreements acknowledging risks of the sport and even though his death was directly caused by a fault on their end they would not help his family cover funeral expenses even though they were struggling and he just had a child. I spoke out to people about how I really felt about the situation and how I thought Kawasaki was being shitty about it. Word got back to them about what I said and as I stated before I used to race. I was immediately terminated from my contract for violating my NDA and basically run out of the business by them.

So as much as I hate them for what happened they are still alive and kicking and selling everything where as if they had helped him they could of become liable for thousands of lawsuits due to people dieing in accidents and whatnot, and Motorola is in a similar situation where they are putting their corporation at risk.

Upvote 0
The above poster who said that the DA for the states (or US attorney for the feds) are the only ones who can press charges and prosecute is correct. Motorola can merely file a criminal complaint or file a civil suit.

In the United States, Receipt of stolen property is a federal crime under 18 U.S.C.

Upvote 0
The phone was never "stolen". It was merely sold twice without Motorola's consent since it was "Confidential Motorola Property". That is the problem that they had with the whole situation. Someone in their camp sold property That wasn't theirs to sale. So I guess they figure if they will do that there is no telling what else they will do.

Upvote 0
The phone was never "stolen". It was merely sold twice without Motorola's consent since it was "Confidential Motorola Property". That is the problem that they had with the whole situation. Someone in their camp sold property That wasn't theirs to sale. So I guess they figure if they will do that there is no telling what else they will do.
Did you talk to an attorney? Did you already send it back?

Upvote 0
You have no idea how close to home your story hits, as my Dad raced professionaly for over 30 years (including 21 Indy 500's). The assumption of risk in motorsports by those who willfully particapate is something that you can't really accept halfway. No manufacturer, venue, sanctioning body, etc. can guarantee safety for participants or spectators. We assume the risk, do our best, and pray for the best. Sometimes it works out and sometimes tragedies occur. I'm sorry to learn of the outcome of your story.
Very cool! 69 and 71 Sprint Car Champ?

Upvote 0

Its still stolen though. It wasnt the first sellers property and they sold it without motorolas consent. Its a theft but not in the normal sense of the word as in someone breaking in and grabbing a bunch of phones.

Upvote 0
You know this whole thing makes me not even want to buy a Motorola product. They have a crappy reputation because of motoblur and late updates amongst other things and shaw's review is better than any pr or website could ever do because shaw's was a real genuine review with nothing to gaining sure more people will buy the photon because of Shaw's review than some company's review anyways. So shame on Motorola for being d o u c h e s about t the whole thing.

Upvote 0
You know this whole thing makes me not even want to buy a Motorola product. They have a crappy reputation because of motoblur and late updates amongst other things and shaw's review is better than any pr or website could ever do because shaw's was a real genuine review with nothing to gaining sure more people will buy the photon because of Shaw's review than some company's review anyways. So shame on Motorola for being d o u c h e s about t the whole thing.

The new phone doesnt have blur and has had good reviews. Motorola rolls out updates pretty quickly many of their phones got Gingerbread before the EVO did. I do agree its a shitty situation.

Upvote 0
The new phone doesnt have blur and has had good reviews. Motorola rolls out updates pretty quickly many of their phones got Gingerbread before the EVO did. I do agree its a shitty situation.

Agree with most of what you said expect about blur, it definitely still has blur. It might get a name drop but it is still blur, even though it seems a lot better. Actually blur is on the manufacture skins I like most.

Upvote 0
Agree with most of what you said expect about blur, it definitely still has blur. It might get a name drop but it is still blur, even though it seems a lot better. Actually blur is on the manufacture skins I like most.

It still shows some elements of it but it looks quite more refined than what was on the earlier phones. I never had much of a problem with Blur either and I find it funny when people complain that the widgets arent as pretty. At that point its like a person is just looking for something to hate. Based on my experience with Blur this phone would be like Sense 3.0 on the 3D versus Sense 1.X like the EVO I had.

Upvote 0
It still shows some elements of it but it looks quite more refined than what was on the earlier phones. I never had much of a problem with Blur either and I find it funny when people complain that the widgets arent as pretty. At that point its like a person is just looking for something to hate. Based on my experience with Blur this phone would be like Sense 3.0 on the 3D versus Sense 1.X like the EVO I had.

Totally agree with you, if people don't like the widgets they can remove them. Motorola didn't a few things great with blur. Starting with their widgets, they are the first to introduce re-sizable widgets on android as far as I know.

Yeah with each update to Blur, Motorola has been less and less prominent, one of the reasons I like it the most. The Motorola Droid X is still my favorite phone to this day. I am pumped for this phone, but sadly I don't think I will keep it long. As great as I think it will be, I absolutely want the SG2 and I am going to have to get it.

But I am going to get the Photon and mess with it, might have my wife keep it instead of the EVO 3D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones