• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Serendipity VII

There are three things that are keeping me from adopting 7 right now. WiFi connection wonkiness, widgets that are not sticking, and the charge reporting problem. To be fair, I don't know how widespread any of them are. Additionally, I don't know whether they're custom ROM manifestations, or if they're sufficiently embedded within GB as to preclude being addressed by the devs. I've adopted a wait and see attitude.

Upvote 0
day two with Serendipity7, and so far, still liking it. I may try the Talon kernel, but that wont be until next week. I calibrated the battery, and seems to be doing pretty good. Netflix is running great. Over all, im happy with it, especially being so fresh.
Also tested a theme and works for the most part, the power menu is missing an icon but everything else seems to work.

ScreenShot%252520%2525281%252529.png
ScreenShot.png

Upvote 0
There are three things that are keeping me from adopting 7 right now. WiFi connection wonkiness, widgets that are not sticking, and the charge reporting problem. To be fair, I don't know how widespread any of them are. Additionally, I don't know whether they're custom ROM manifestations, or if they're sufficiently embedded within GB as to preclude being addressed by the devs. I've adopted a wait and see attitude.

Wifi connection wonkiness? what exactly do you mean by that? I just flashed s7 and everything is fine except that I do notice that my wifi signal strength icon is always at the minimum (just the small dot and no bars) eventhough the connection is fine. Anybody else have the same problem?

Upvote 0
Wifi connection wonkiness? what exactly do you mean by that? I just flashed s7 and everything is fine except that I do notice that my wifi signal strength icon is always at the minimum (just the small dot and no bars) eventhough the connection is fine. Anybody else have the same problem?
my wifi bars are doing the same. sitting at my desk, my wireless router merely within arms reach, and still only 1 bar.

Upvote 0
Started using the phone yesterday, got 3/4 of the day on only 20% battery life. today, ive had it on for aout 6 hours, constantly using it, down to 88%. This build is WAY better then the stock one. No wireless issues. Using JL2 modem, getting HSDPA just about everywhere without a single issue. Very happy with this phone :D

Upvote 0
Couldn't take it any more - flashed this afternoon. Sooo glad I did.

1) Flashed back to stock 2.1 with Odin 1 click (following first 2 vids in MobileTechVideos 3 part flashing Cognition series here)

2) Flashed GB bootloaders, Talon kernel, and Serendipity 7 ROM Bld2/Kernel3 (following excellent vid also by MobileTech here)

3) I use Titanium backup normally to restore, but there's been several reports that people have fewer problems when doing fresh installs from the market, so with one exception (one dinky little flashlight app that I've stopped updating from the market a few dozen versions ago), I've been slogging through manual installs and configuring.

Verdict thus far:

Screaming fast and smooth with Launcher Pro. Seriously - and I was coming from Serendipity 6.4, which was a pretty amazing ROM.

Wifi is fast (haven't been toggling, so can't speak to that issue yet) even though the signal looks weaker than it should be in the notification bar. No issues with dropping.

Made a test call to myself from google. No connection issues, though it's hard to really determine call quality talking to yourself :p Yeah, I could have called a real second human, but I didn't want to start a conversation that might take away from my geek fest. By tomorrow I should be ready to deal with that.

Did get the "black screen" issue after answering a call on the phone. A quick swipe of the finger across the light sensor restored the screen, as previously reported. Not a biggie.

More to follow as I get more real world use. For now it's back to the restores (Precious ... my Precious ...).

Upvote 0
For the record, today, I had my first 'wifi wonkiness'. I had to turn off wifi, it wasn't working in the gym, for some reason. when I tried to turn it back on, I got 'Error' and couldn't - until I rebooted the phone.

The only widgets that don't 'stick' are on my Widgetlocker lockscreen. I think Kevin is going to have to issue some kind of an update to Widgetlocker to fix it.

I have yet to experience the charging issues being reported. But I'm not constantly fiddling and 'testing' as some seem to be obsessed with doing. Toggling wifi until it breaks just isn't something I'm going to bother with.

So, I have to say, I am very happy with the switch to Serendipity VII. The battery life is much better, the phone is zippier (I really see no need for OC/UV anyways, but now, it's just not worth bothering with, many are reporting), I'm on Build #3 of the kernel, I did switch out the modem for JK4, life is good :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones