• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Serendipity VII

Thanks for the update.

Widgets? check.
Charge issue? check.
WiFi wonkiness? nope.

I have no interest in fighting with WiFi and will wait until it's addressed, either through Samsung (sorry for the foul language) or a ROM chef.

That said, the vicarious pleasure I've received from your contentment provided a good start for my day.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update.

Widgets? check.
Charge issue? check.
WiFi wonkiness? nope.

I have no interest in fighting with WiFi and will wait until it's addressed, either through Samsung (sorry for the foul language) or a ROM chef.

That said, the vicarious pleasure I've received from your contentment provided a good start for my day.

The new Kernel #4 seems to have fixed it for most folks. Including me. :D

Upvote 0
So far I'm still running on Kernel3 and have had a few problems.

1) Occasional wifi wonkiness. Mostly I toggle my wifi using Tasker instead of the drop down. It toggles successfully a lot more than it fails.

2) I'm not sure if it's a ROM issue or a kernel issue, but I can't play my OGG files, which is annoying.

3) My fiance is whining because he wants GB on his Transform now that I have it on my Captivate. This is the man that had to have his arm twisted to upgrade from a dumb phone.

Call quality is good, but in general I frequently show a much lower signal strength on both wifi and 3G.

Off to flash Kernel4!

Upvote 0
So far I'm still running on Kernel3 and have had a few problems.

1) Occasional wifi wonkiness. Mostly I toggle my wifi using Tasker instead of the drop down. It toggles successfully a lot more than it fails.

2) I'm not sure if it's a ROM issue or a kernel issue, but I can't play my OGG files, which is annoying.

3) My fiance is whining because he wants GB on his Transform now that I have it on my Captivate. This is the man that had to have his arm twisted to upgrade from a dumb phone.

Call quality is good, but in general I frequently show a much lower signal strength on both wifi and 3G.

Off to flash Kernel4!
You should see the wifi wonkiness go away on Kernel 4.

Upvote 0
A bunch of things don't seem to be working correctly for me, help?

My phone won't lock, when I hit the button on the side the home screen automatically opens up. Yes I have a lock screen is set in the settings.

The home button doesn't work.

The screen is black during calls. But apparently swiping your finger over it fixes it.

Is there any hope for a stable rom for me?

Oh, I also don't have an airplane mode option.

Upvote 0

My phone won't lock, when I hit the button on the side the home screen automatically opens up. Yes I have a lock screen is set in the settings.

The screen is black during calls. But apparently swiping your finger over it fixes it.

Did you flash the serendipity7 from recovery? Sounds like you are on stock gingerbread still.

The back screen on call is a known issue on GB's. Should only be the first call after a reboot.

Ive used many 2.3 roms, and Serendipity7 is pretty stable. In my case, it gets messed up because I start messing with other stuff.

Upvote 0

Oh, I also don't have an airplane mode option.
Something is definitely wrong, because none of that is happening on my phone, and there are many happy campers on the ROM thread over on XDA. Did you follow the installation instructions to the letter?

Upvote 0
S7 is AMAZING! Can't believe I stayed on stock for so long :(

Only problem i'm having is some wi-fi issues (toggling on the pull down menu). Going through the settings--> wifi--> on/off always works though so it's a minor inconvenience for a better battery life, speed and stability.

Some users have reported that if they instruct their device to "Forget" their current WiFi network, then re-install the settings they're able to solve the problem. Others have reported that the installation of the latest kernel (Build 4) solves Wi-Fi wonkiness.

Upvote 0
Some users have reported that if they instruct their device to "Forget" their current WiFi network, then re-install the settings they're able to solve the problem. Others have reported that the installation of the latest kernel (Build 4) solves Wi-Fi wonkiness.

Still getting some minor irritation from it but nothing major. Ill try installing and reinstalling the settings and let you know.

Upvote 0
I have moved from 6.4 to 7 last night and I can't seem to keep my phone from freezing. About once every 30 minutes it restarts. I do have the 4.1 kernal. I might back it up to the 4.0 kernal since I haven't heard anything bad with it. But wow is it faster!

make sure you did a system wipe and master clear before flashing 7 also, since you were coming from a 2.2 to a 2.3.3, to prevent any compatability issues with some of the settings and such.

and the 4.1 kernel update is only a minor update. "Fixed Bootscreen exiting too soon when wiping Dalvik Cache" <-- so unless your having that problem, its not really necessary to even get 4.1

Upvote 0
make sure you did a system wipe and master clear before flashing 7 also, since you were coming from a 2.2 to a 2.3.3, to prevent any compatability issues with some of the settings and such.

Agree, and you may also want to reinstall your apps manually from the market rather than through TiBU.

And no issues with wifi since I got around to flashing Kernel4. I've still not bothered to change my modem since I'm not really having any trouble making or receiving calls - I've just found that the signal strength is not reliably represented by the display.

I mentioned a problem with playing some audio files above (ogg, specifically). Anyone else had a problem with audio files? I've found a few mentions of audio file weirdness on the XDA thread, but generally the only threads I'm interested in over there are the rom threads, which are in dev forums, so I can't post (I understand and respect the reasoning behind their restrictions, but that doesn't mean I don't get annoyed).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones