• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Serious issues with the Play

Wheelbarrow

Lurker
May 29, 2012
Hello there, I will just briefly introduce myself before commencing to complain about my phone. I purchased the Xperia Play R800i online through one of the phone company in Queensland, Australia and purchased it for $600. I purchased it when it was first released in Queensland, around 6 to 7 months ago, and when it was first released - it was one of the fastest phone around and its impressive PlayStation ceritified slide-out controllers that enable you to play much more than expected.

Anyway, throughout the fifth/sixth month of the phone ownership, I begun to noticed that there is a separate problems occuring with my phone. And each of these problems are quite significant that I was forced to visit the store and complain about it.

The store claimed that I do not have warranty or its similar forms to prove that I am eligible for 1 year warranty. Apparently, I have requested for it as when I first purchased it and the warranty forms has never arrived. Other thing, the store asked if I had any papers that I'd sign before commencing my legal ownership of my phone. I have never signed any papers, they never gave it to me. So which then, I have never signed any papers except for the online mail parcel dude who knocked my house and asked me to sign the evidence of a successful deliver.

So which means I am stuck in a tight knot which it is virtually impossible to untie, and I am very furious about it. I visited Sony Store in Brisbane City, and even though they did not sell the phone to me, and they still claim that I am eligible for free replacement because since that they (Sony Ericsson) manufactured the phone, they knew that some of the issues my phone had is not possible to be fixed. So which means, if it is being sent for repair out of my pocket money - I will still get the phone back with remaining problems.

So which means I am here to desperately ask for a serious help and advices how I would be able to get a legal replacement or refund. I still do have the evidence of purchase papers, and the recipt papers.

So that is all I will say for now, and it is time for me to spam it all up about the problems it has occured lately. The problems include:

Severe Memory Leak
You might point out that a new SD Card would be a solution. Nope. The memory issue is the internal memory, and Sony claimed that if I tend to fix the internal memory, and it would lead to future system issues because the phone is "locked" to a certain memory port. I would have extremely crazy application (which it was saved to Internal memory card) crashing, freezing and bugging/lagging out. Even with uninstalling, and reinstalling - it still doesn't work. Transferring it to SD Card still doesnt work. Any other possible alternative doesn't work either.

Third Party Home Launcher ???????????????
I remembered my SHOCKING reaction when I was bored and thought I'd install a nice-looking home replacement launcher, so I thought if there is any difference between Play and Arc so I had a look on Android Markets for "Xperia Arc Launcher" ... and I was horrified when I first saw it. APPARENTLY Sony Ericsson used the third party home launcher as a DEFAULT home screen for my ****ing phone! I cannot remove it otherwise bricking up my phone and according to this home replacement developer - it is NOT the official Sony Ericsson developer or similar. I am horrified and is scared of my identity and my data privacy! I couldn't believe that a THIRD PARTY home screen replacement application has been given a full right, access and usage of my phone. When I brought it up at Sony, they claimed that they have no idea about it. Is it happening with other Xperia handsets as well???

Lock Screen Freezing
Over 10 times a day, over 5 if I am VERY lucky - the Xperia Play lock screen would freeze for a while. I cannot even slide-right to unlock the phone, for some reasons it just freezes like that. I had to slide-up and slide-down, and so go on until it finally cool down the freeze and unlock the phone. After 30 minutes or an hour, my phone would jack up again and freeze. I am getting frustrated and is extremely annoyed by this.

Ever since... my phone is officially dead. I cannot unlock the phone for few days - normally it would cool down the freeze and is able to unlock, but nope. It has been frozen for days, even with shutting down and restarting or EVEN with battery being removed and replaced - it doesnt work. It is still frozen, even with phone restarts. Sometimes when it finally cools down, and I start to type my PIN number password to unlock ... and then it freezes right there. It is really annoying, really.

Game lagged out really bad
Ever since when I first installed few Sony's official PS1 and few Xperia Play optimised games, my phone lag really bad when I recieve any sort of notification. For example, when I play Minecraft PE, and I recieve a notification from Facebook, Whatsapp or Messaging - and the game would freeze for a minute or two and then resume playing normally WITH significant lags and bugs for another few minutes before playing smoothly. So with notification system switched off, my phone seem to running smoothly. A while back when I thought I'd switch off the notifications just for a full day so I can play games - and then when I switch it back on as soon as I get home, my phone was frozen with a lot of notifications. I can't do anything except wait for an hour for it to cool down.

Powering Up Boot Freeze
It didn't happen for a day or two, but before that - I would wait for 30 minutes to an hour for the "Sony Ericsson" logo on the start up boot to cool down from its dramatic freeze. I remember that it was frozen for WHOLE NIGHT, as before when I sleep and an hour after when I woke up. Even with restarting, force shut down and battery removal/replacement - it still doesnt work. So I was forced to leave it on and running through the night to prevent it happening again.

Factory Reset and other failed solutions
Even with one or two factory resets, it still doesnt work. After removing ALL of my applications off from my phone - it still doesnt work. Deleting my messages, removed all of my pictures. It still doesn't work. With BOTH of factory reset and data reset, it still freezes and lags up.

Network Error
EVERY TIME I ever run out a credit, my phone just acts funny including removing all of the network data information that it is needed to be stored in my phone. If I dont have credit, I cannot recieve any messages, or whatever. It is just like a computer with no internet. I visited Virgin a LOT of times, and all they just did is to update or install the network data package and it doesnt even work or improve. I am getting annoyed by it. According to VIRGIN account balances, I have $290 credit - but I can't send messages or whatever because according to OPTUS who said I dont have credit. WHEN THE HELL DID Optus have a right over my account balance WHILE I am locked to Virgin? Optus always send me the Optus default messages. Only times I ever recieve a default text messages from Virgin is that they let me know that I have successfully recharged more credits. This situation is very creepy for me.

I have had it. I am fed up with this extremely stuffed up phone. I would be OVER the moon if I would get a free replacement or refund. I regret buying a Sony Ericsson phone but I will NEVER regret buying a Xperia Play. If I am to get a full refund ($600) ... I will NEVER buy a SE phone again, and heading and stick with Samsung Galaxy SII or SIII.

I am really disappointed to be honest, and I would be delighted and happy if any of you to post a solution, advice, or possible ways to get a legal refund, legal replacement or whatever in its kind.

Thank you so much for reading, much appreciated.
Wheelbarrow

PS: You all might wonder about the "store" I bought my phone off from, it is not the third party shop or whatever. I cannot mention the store name here otherwise suffering a legal action but it is under Optus/Virgin networked store.

I see that is week old thread but maybe u still looks for help.

I think that u should try to reflash stock rom. Maybe there is some broken files which cause some of the problems.

Other solution is trying custom roms which sometimes has different system files - without ps apps but games still work. However there is some games with touch pad not working (especially ea games)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones