• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU & Sholes 2.0.5 Warning at 1.2 Ghz

mihalich

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2009
South Orange County, CA
I just got myself into a situation and almost had to wipe my phone data...so I wanted to post this out there, since I managed to recover.

So, I'm using sholes 2.0.5, and have SetCPU installed.

I went into SetCPU and set the Max to 1.2Ghz. I changed to min to be 1.2Ghz too just to see what would happen. The second I launched an app after that, the phone immediately shut off. I thought i might have fried it.

I took the battery out, and put it back in and restarted the phone. The phone booted back up, but I had the stupid "set on boot" checkbox set in set cpu, and it immediately tried to set to the cpu back to 1.2Ghz...and the phone locked up. I was stuck, it appeared in this loop.

There was about a 7 second period of time between seeing the lock screen, and the phone locking up. So, in that time, I was able to unlock the phone, launch set cpu, uncheck the "set at boot", and change the cpu settings back to 800Mhz.

Once I did that and restarted the phone again, all seems to be well.

Just wanted to post this, so others know what happened to me.

The killer here was the set on boot checkbox. I would not ever have that checked, just in case.

- Joe

Why would you in gods name set both the max and min at 1.2Ghz? I dont mean to be offensive but what part of you made you want to try that? That's like setting your car to run at 12000 RPMs and only 12000 RPMs. Not only is that asking for your cpu to melt, your lucky you didn't get it stuck in a loop that couldn't be fixed. This is why the general public isn't supposed to have root access.

Upvote 0
dude, one more post like that, and I'll report you to the mods.

I have been a software developer for 13 years, and I'm not the "general public"...so don't generalize without knowing who you're talking too.

I was trying to see what the performance difference would be. No one was reporting issues at 1.2Ghz, so I didn't think it would be an issue setting both to the max for a short period of time. I know exactly what I was causing by doing that.

Joe

Upvote 0
I dont mean to be offensive .

This is why the general public isn't supposed to have root access.

lol - Epic Fail.

You may want to re-read your post if that was not meant to be offensive.

@mihalich - Maybe playing with the performance governor with a failsafe temp on the battery set conservatively would be a better way to test this?

Upvote 0
dude, one more post like that, and I'll report you to the mods.

I have been a software developer for 13 years, and I'm not the "general public"...so don't generalize without knowing who you're talking too.

I was trying to see what the performance difference would be. No one was reporting issues at 1.2Ghz, so I didn't think it would be an issue setting both to the max for a short period of time. I know exactly what I was causing by doing that.

Joe

I am sorry, but that post was not reportable worthy, IMO.

The other thing, as I posted in another thread, is that some phones "take" to overclocking differently. For instance Messenger13 and I were running the same setup at one time, but I could not run Taz's 1100 or 1300 kernels. It would either boot loop or go into a shutoff cycle. You don't need to set your min to your max to go into a shutoff cycle.

However Joe was able to run both with no issues.

Now, I am able to run Sholes 1200 with no issues.

So it's down to the individual phone at times.

Upvote 0
If you notice, the purpose of this thread was not to complain and be pissed off about the whole thing, and rant. It was to tell other people what just happened to me so they don't try the same thing. If this was duplicate info then so be it...but I didn't see a thread specifically about this.

There was no need for his comment to basically say I was a moron, and had no business being rooted. I've been putting custom ROMs on my windows mobile phone for 3 years, and for the most part, I know what I'm doing.

Anyway, I did read about other peoples problems with higher frequencies...and my purpose was to try it to see what would happen, for a short period of time, and not to leave it like that. Sometimes it's hard to tell if SetCPU is even working because I can't notice a difference. But I imagine it's cuz I'm using the On Demand mode and it's switching back and forth between min and max.

Joe

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones