• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up CM6

Will doing this affect CM6? Will wiping the cache and the dalvik affect anything? Will I have to flash CM6 again?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I understand everything before I actually do it. I don't wanna screw up my phone.

No it won't affect anything with the CM6 except you will have a new kernel and not the stock kernel

That's why you do nandroid before doing anything, then if something happens you can restore your nandroid and the phone will be as you left it;)

The only way you are going to screw your phone up is by flashing a GSM rom or a wrong radio. Otherwise if you are not sure about a specific rom, ask away, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what a GSM rom is or what a wrong radio is

Upvote 0
so what is a good starting point for min and max when overclocking? I'm gonna use OC widget.

also, will flashing a newer nightly erase the settings from the one I was previously using, or will they carry over?

Every phone will be different when setting frequencies, so there's no set frequency. You're just going to have to do trial and error.

If you flash a new nightly, you will have the stock kernel again. You will have to flash an uncapped kernel after flashing the rom

Upvote 0
If you flash a new nightly, you will have the stock kernel again. You will have to flash an uncapped kernel after flashing the rom

Sorry, I was asking two questions at the same time and didn't realize it. First; are you talking about the OC frequencies? Second; will the CM6, ADW, and phone settings carry over to the new nightly? Or do I still have to flash an uncapped kernal for that also?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was asking two questions at the same time and didn't realize it. First; are you talking about the OC frequencies? Second; will the CM6, ADW, and phone settings carry over to the new nightly? Or do I still have to flash an uncapped kernal for that also?

If you flash the CM6, you will have the stock kernel. To get the uncapped kernels, you will have to flash them in recovery. If you decide to flash a new nightly, you will then have the stock kernel again. You will have to flash the uncapped again.

If flashing a new nightly, from another nightly or stable, you will need to wipe davlik cache and cache. NO NEED TO WIPE DATA. All settings will be the same as before you flashed the nightly

Upvote 0
thanks alot. something else I was wondering was why my phone signal never says 'ev' anymore. it's always on 3g. what can I do to improve this?
I don't use CM6, but I am pretty sure 3G and EV are the same. Just a different way to name the same thing, as the CM6 ROM isn't from a Sprint phone.

Anyone using CM6...please correct me if I am wrong! :D

Upvote 0
I don't use CM6, but I am pretty sure 3G and EV are the same. Just a different way to name the same thing, as the CM6 ROM isn't from a Sprint phone.

Anyone using CM6...please correct me if I am wrong! :D

You, sir are correct. I don't know the reason, but Sprint uses the EvDo nomenclature for their 3G network. I think Verizon does too. The difference is that most aosp Roms are based from other carriers, and the 3G sticks when they port the rom.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
is the version of cm6 in this thread a stable, less buggy version?

The 9/18 is the stable build. At the beginning of the 'setting up CM6' thread.

The nightly builds are at the bottom of the 'setting up CM6'. Just remember there could be bugs in the nightlies so if there is a problem, they could be fixed in the next nightly;)

Upvote 0
What all does the new one have?

Just flashed, will let you know later. But I'm thinking there is an issue with the native email application (not Gmail app) that was causing force close issues. Don't know if this will solve that issue or the problem is with the 95/96 builds of the CM6.

FYI, I only use Gmail so maybe someone else can chime in about the email app

Upvote 0
I didn't flash gapps after I flashed the 95 nightly because Gmail, Market, Car Home, etc. are already in there. Since I did a full wipe before I flashed the 95, I should not have had the gapps I flashed with the previous ROM, so this must be from the 95 nightly, right?

If you do a full wipe, everything should be there anyways. Not sure if this is a feature of froyo or CM, but it just like doing a factory wipe on stock

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones