• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Settings for screenshots?

When I take a screenshot, its thumbnail and a little editing menu next to it stay on-screen for a LONG time. I've looked, unsuccessfully, for a settings option to adjust this behavior. I want to take a screenshot and then have its thumbnail IMMEDIATELY go away! As it is now, I can swipe it away, or I can wait an eternity for it to disappear on its own, but I don't like either. Is there such a setting?

Did a test screenshot on a OnePlus phone running 12. It takes about four seconds for that little screenshot viewer to fade off. Just for clarity, when you stated it takes long time, approximately how many seconds please? Trying to get a sense of what 'long time' might be (i.e. are you being impatient so 5 seconds is way too much, or mellow and passive so 10 seconds is OK but longer is a waste of time)

Upvote 0
Did a test screenshot on a OnePlus phone running 12. It takes about four seconds for that little screenshot viewer to fade off. Just for clarity, when you stated it takes long time, approximately how many seconds please? Trying to get a sense of what 'long time' might be (i.e. are you being impatient so 5 seconds is way too much, or mellow and passive so 10 seconds is OK but longer is a waste of time)
Damn it! I knew someone would ask how much time we're ACTUALLY talking about here! :)

I don't know. But I have my status bar clock showing HH:MM:SS, so the next time I take a screenshot I'll see what that shows. It *seems* like an eternity, but it may only be 5 seconds. Also, as noted earlier, if I tap anywhere else on the screen, it makes the thumbnail stay up even longer!

I don't know if this is worth anything, but the extended display time coincided with the update that added the 'whole page' feature--the button you can press so the screenshot keeps scrolling until it's captured the whole page, not just the portion you were looking at when you took the screenshot. Prior to that feature being added, the thumbnail would disappear almost instantly.

Upvote 0
Damn it! I knew someone would ask how much time we're ACTUALLY talking about here! :)

I don't know. But I have my status bar clock showing HH:MM:SS, so the next time I take a screenshot I'll see what that shows. It *seems* like an eternity, but it may only be 5 seconds. Also, as noted earlier, if I tap anywhere else on the screen, it makes the thumbnail stay up even longer!

I don't know if this is worth anything, but the extended display time coincided with the update that added the 'whole page' feature--the button you can press so the screenshot keeps scrolling until it's captured the whole page, not just the portion you were looking at when you took the screenshot. Prior to that feature being added, the thumbnail would disappear almost instantly.
I was kidding earlier, mine does around five seconds and usually move to the left, it should save in the duration of just as is. I even looke dthroughout itself as well.

Upvote 0
I use the 3 finger on screen method and it's about 4 or 5 seconds.
I believe it's baked into the app itself with no option to change it.
I'm using a Motorola G Stylus and it's called "screenshot editor"....
I timed mine last night--it's about 5 seconds. That's if I don't touch anything. If I touch the screen, it's about 11-12 seconds.

Because I'm so used to being able to make my computers do *anything* I want them to do, and since Android is a Linux and I only use Linux, I expect my Android devices to behave like my Linux computers. On them, I have my screenshot program set up to do different things, depending on which button I press. The default is the [PrintScreen] key, but I've added [F1] as an alternate, and set them up to do entirely different things. With [PrintScreen] it takes the screenshot and leaves the app open so I can do other things, like save it to a different location or choose to take a new screenshot of just a rectangular region, or set a timer, etc. With [F1] I have it set to make a camera shutter sound (so I know it worked) but NOTHING else obvious happens. It saves the file to an 'autosave' directory, automatically naming it a certain way, and instantaneously being ready to take another screenshot. There's no outward sign that anything happened. Ideally, I'd like something similar on my Android devices--or AT LEAST be able to reduce the on-screen thumbnail time!

Upvote 0
In my laptop i use two buttons windows and prt sc button which helps in taking a screenshot. usually i dont take much screenshots in my laptop i mostly use it more in mobile phone .Expert recommended Dr Jambu Jain as a Top Endocrinologist in Bhopal,Best Diabetes Doctor in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Just because of Dr Jambu Jain patient reviews, history, ratings, satisfaction, trust, cost and their general excellence. In my mobile i personally prefer using a accessibilty ball which help in not using the buttons of my phone to take a screen shot rather that that i use it in a way like touching it for ore than 5 sec it will take a screen shot within secs. In my lap after pressing those two buttons my screen will go black for like 10 sec then its done .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my laptop i use two buttons windows and prt sc button which helps in taking a screenshot. usually i dont take much screenshots in my laptop i mostly use it more in mobile phone . In my mobile i personally prefer using a accessibilty ball which help in not using the buttons of my phone to take a screen shot rather that that i use it in a way like touching it for ore than 5 sec it will take a screen shot within secs. In my lap after pressing those two buttons my screen will go black for like 10 sec then its done .
The screen goes black for 10 seconds?! Ugh. I'd hate that. And why do you use two buttons? I mean, is that by choice, or what? I don't do window$, but I thought even it had a standard [PrintScreen] button for screenshots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones