• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shake it off

How do I ensure that when I reset my phone a keylogger is not silently being installed along side it? Root the phone? New ROM?
do a hard reset vs a factory reset. keep in mind that hard resets will trip frp(factory reset protection) and you will need your original account info that was used when first setting up your phone. so make sure you know this before proceeding.

keyloggers on android are just like any other app. it needs to be downloaded. so as long as you do not download one yourself, you will be fine. apps like these if it was already installed will get wiped after the reset. it will not remain as it is a 3rd party app and not part of the system apps.

edit:curious as to why you named this thread "shake it off"?

Upvote 0
This is NOT a "Taylor Swift" forum!!!

But it could be!

How do I ensure that when I reset my phone a keylogger is not silently being installed along side it? Root the phone? New ROM?

You can do a standard factory reset:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4596836

That will erase any and all apps which were installed on the userdata partition.

But what about malicious apps sneakily installed to the system partition? Pay attention when the phone is first powered on. The bootloader does a check of the file system and will generate an alert if it's been tampered with in any way. If you don't see something that looks like this when you boot:

PXL_20220927_132825398.jpg

then you can be sure that the OS is unmodified.

If you do see that alert or just want more assurance, you can sideload a factory image / OTA image to absolutely guarantee you're running an unmodified system:
https://developers.google.com/android/images
https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I have done this in the past but years ago. I'm being cautious because while I'm not new I never was an expert so I defer to you all.

I have Pixel 6 Pro with Xfinity. Which image version would I download? I don't see Xfinity as an image version but I see other things that might encompass Xfinity.

Can you help me find the right one so I don't brick my device?

Upvote 0
I have done this in the past but years ago. I'm being cautious because while I'm not new I never was an expert so I defer to you all.

I have Pixel 6 Pro with Xfinity. Which image version would I download? I don't see Xfinity as an image version but I see other things that might encompass Xfinity.

Can you help me find the right one so I don't brick my device?
What's your exact model number?

Reactions: EricDMartin
Upvote 0
Ive extracted adb and enabled USB debugging and got unauthorized for the device. I researched that and fixed that issue by revoking unathorized. I have an adb server running now and my device is shown as device. THats my update. Thanks for helping so far.

Model G8VOU

I got that by going to about phone>regulatory

Upvote 0
do a hard reset vs a factory reset. keep in mind that hard resets will trip frp(factory reset protection) and you will need your original account info that was used when first setting up your phone. so make sure you know this before proceeding.

keyloggers on android are just like any other app. it needs to be downloaded. so as long as you do not download one yourself, you will be fine. apps like these if it was already installed will get wiped after the reset. it will not remain as it is a 3rd party app and not part of the system apps.

edit:curious as to why you named this thread "shake it off"?

Because I have reset my phone and somehow apps are missing features that would allow me to root out if someone had installed a custom image or would allow me to monirto my own home lan network traffic.

Upvote 0
Because I have reset my phone and somehow apps are missing features that would allow me to root out if someone had installed a custom image or would allow me to monirto my own home lan network traffic.
ok still weird that you named the thread after a taylor swift song.....now i can't get the song out of my head everytime i see your thread....LOL:goofydroid::goofydroid::goofydroid:
I sideloaded a verizon 13 image. now I want to wipe the whole thing and install a new image (not sideload) Is there a walkthrough for that?
https://developers.google.com/android/images

from the link above:
  1. Extract the contents of the factory ROM .zip file, identify the bootloader image in the extracted files, and follow the sequence of events as listed below to flash the bootloader to both the slots. Substitute the name of the bootloader image with that of your device for the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6a.

2. Start the device in fastboot mode with one of the following methods:
    • Using the adb tool: With the device powered on, execute:

"); --devsite-code-button-size:32px; border: var(--devsite-code-border,0); border-radius: var(--devsite-code-border-radius,0); clear: both; display: block; margin: var(--devsite-code-margin,16px 0); overflow: hidden; position: relative; direction: ltr !important;">
      adb reboot bootloader
    • Using a key combo: Turn the device off, then turn it on and immediately hold down the relevant key combination for your device.
  3. Flash the Android 13 bootloader to the inactive slot. The following command is specific to a particular build of a Pixel 6 Pro device. Substitute the name of the bootloader image determined in the first step above, if different, for the image file name argument.

"); --devsite-code-button-size:32px; border: var(--devsite-code-border,0); border-radius: var(--devsite-code-border-radius,0); clear: both; display: block; margin: var(--devsite-code-margin,16px 0); overflow: hidden; position: relative; direction: ltr !important;">
    fastboot --slot=other flash bootloader bootloader-raven-slider-1.2-8739948.img
    If the flash was successful this command will print OKAY [ ... ]. Do not proceed unless this command completes successfully.

4. After flashing the inactive slot bootloader to an Android 13 bootloader, reboot to that slot to ensure that the bootloader will be marked as bootable. Important: Please run the exact sequence of commands as listed below. Don't forget to enter the full line fastboot reboot bootloader when rebooting. Failure to do so may leave your device in an unbootable state.

fastboot set_active other
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    fastboot set_active other
    fastboot reboot bootloader
  5. Reboot into the current OS. Either press the power button to boot or use the following fastboot command:

fastboot reboot

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Which image do I download for Xfinity Pixel 6 Pro G8VOU
If your carrier is listed with an image, use that image.

If your carrier isn't listed, use the image without any carriers mentioned.

In your case, Xfinity primarily operates on Verizon's network so you did correct to use the Verizon / Verizon MVNO image.

Easier than doing all the fastboot shenanigans might be to use the flash tool:
https://flash.android.com/

Full instructions here:
https://source.android.com/docs/setup/build/flash

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones