• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Shaw Email Not Syncing When Not On WiFi

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I am having some difficulties with syncing my Shaw Cable email account while not on WiFi. If I'm on a WiFi network, I have no difficulties with email. However, I noticed that when I'm away from my WiFi network at home, I cannot sync with this email account. I get a "Network error" alert.

With Hotmail, I have no difficulties at all. My Hotmail account is able to sync where ever I go whether on or off WiFi.

I'm currently with Bell (Canada). I used to own a Nokia N97 and had no difficulties with Shaw on that phone.

Now I cannot send email when connected to my WiFi network at home. Apparently, my home Shaw internet provider does not allow me to send email via my wireless carrier's SMTP server. I can receive emails fine at home or away. The only way I can send emails while at home is if I turn off WiFi.

Is there any way to force my email client to always use my carrier's network when sending emails regardless of whether or not I am connected to WiFi?

Upvote 0
Had to call both Shaw and Bell to resolve this. POP server should be "pop.shaw.ca" and SMTP server should be "mail.1xbell.ca" for those interested. Apparently, I was using settings that work only while on Shaw internet (like my PC at home).

Hello, I too was having problems with Shaw. I adjusted both the POP and the SMTP to what you said above. However I get the message:

"Set up could not finish, unable to connect to server""

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm using the Galaxy Tablet BTW

Sorry guys I just posted in the Tablet forum...........answer there if you can:)

Upvote 0
Hello, I too was having problems with Shaw. I adjusted both the POP and the SMTP to what you said above. However I get the message:

"Set up could not finish, unable to connect to server""

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm using the Galaxy Tablet BTW

Sorry guys I just posted in the Tablet forum...........answer there if you can:)

What I did for the Mail app is set the SMTP server to my Gmail SMTP server (
smtp.gmail.com). In Gmail, I set it to show my Shaw account in the from field.

I primarily use my Gmail app on my phone as it has push mail and I get notifications of email instantly. I occasionally use the Mail app. Whichever app I use, all sent emails will appear as is it were sent from my Shaw account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones